Fellow Goliath players, how do you counter pillar humping hunters?

This is one area of the game where I just can’t seem to formulate a working strategy. When a hunter decides to endlessly circle a pillar to stall for time, they’re basically uncatchable as Goliath, working much like a squirrel on a tree, staying out of line of sight at all costs.

Flame breath doesn’t work, needs direct line of sight.

Rock Throw doesn’t work, takes too long to activate.

Leap Smash and pillars don’t mix.

Charge SEEMS like it should work, but it never does. It’s like they’re Pac-Man and I’m a ghost, they have superior cornering.

Melee attacks slow you down, so getting even one in is very hard.

Pouncing would be great, but they stop running if you do, dunno how they seem to know where you are, though this is usually someone at the end of a match, so their teammates have a third-person cheat view, so…

Climbing up the pillar is rarely an option, as they choose ones you can’t climb, and even if you get to the top, Goliath drops like he weighs as much as a particularly heavy balloon. Flame Breath and Rock Throw can’t get direct LoS due to the edge of the pillar.

Basically, every time it happens, you CAN get the hunter eventually, but it usually ends up with them making a mistake, and not before they’ve wasted SO much time. This reminds me of World of Warcraft PvP where people would just cheese matches by doing literally the same exact thing. Pillar humping is evil.

and just for the heck of it… @MacMan is this intended behavior? The other Monsters don’t suffer from such a profound weakness.

I really love the term “Pillar Humping” lol

I’m not a Superior Monster Player, though I’ve gotten my WLR to about 50/50 on X1. I’m about 70/30 on PS4 (began playing there after I got my chops down). I main Goliath because … come on! Awesome! I never use Feeding Speed and I’ve gotten to the point where I can hit S3 in the 7-10 minute range.

Offhand, what I’m thinking is that I wonder what condition this would be under. What it makes me want to talk about is situational awareness. I cannot imagine why I’d be chasing someone around a pillar. I think I would basically re-position myself, force them to come to me, and then attack when it’s more advantageous. They’re either going to come after me or attempt to flee. If they flee, no more pillar. :grimacing: I am a big proponent of defining the battlefield as Monster. About the only time you can’t decide where to fight is at S3 if they camp the relay, but High Level Play doesn’t normally look like, “It hit S3, run to the relay!” (Sometimes with Wraith, but that shouldn’t be so prevalent post-nerf). Good Hunters apply constant pressure and really know how to carve up the map.

And I second the applause for pillar humping!

Simple, sometimes the situation calls for going for the strike against a medic or support when that health bar is down low and it could hurt you if you let them off the hook… thus, at times one ends up pillar humping. The Monster doesn’t set the battlefield at all times.

I feel like I’d just hit them with a rockthrow when they were at the top of the pillar. I’m not saying I’ve come across brilliant teams in my Monstering days, but I haven’t had too much issue with being kited or people using the landscape against me. I don’t normally get trapped when I’m not ready. It happens, but if I’m not ready, I just commit to causing chaos or downing the Trapper, and I hop away. Normally, though, if you’ve seen bird-sign from me, it’s either because A) IDGAF, or B) because I want you to.

If you don’t chase them, they just sit behind the pillar. They’re not gonna run away. Pillar humping is VASTLY more effective than fleeing, since the monster is faster in a straight line. The point is they’re buying time, typically waiting on a dropship, which, despite SOUNDING like you’ve got the match under control, isn’t always the case. Sometimes when you commit to a fight to finish off a team, you get real low on health, and it’s 100x smarter to finish off the last hunter than to try and go armor up, which gives the hunters time to set up and regain momentum.

Also, they don’t go to the top of the pillar, they stay on their feet and just run around it in a circle, hugging it the entire time.

I’m all for using your environment to your advantage as a hunter, but mostly for things like dodging behind a rock or a tree to avoid damage, not just endlessly circling an object and being essentially invincible.

Not sure dodging behind trees will keep you alive long lol. Depending on the placement of the poll there are a few things you could try that work for me.

1. Sneaking in the opposite direction if the poll doesn’t allow line of site I’ve had a few hunters run into me head first.

2. If it has a drop off like wraith trap you could climb down and crouch while sniffing it takes no time for Goliath to climb back up.

I think poll hugging is mainly a Goliath problem as kraken I drop banshee mines at my feet and on the sides so that they’ll have to slow down by the time they make it back or take unnecessary damage. Wraith decoy and pincer him or her. Behemoth I guess rock wall or lava bomb would be best.

…I know, hence the title of the thread being “Fellow Goliath players,” the other monsters don’t suffer from this problem. Sneaking in the opposite direction rarely works because a team working together has a third-person view and can use voice chat to help the survivor.

This guy doesn’t have “pillar humping” problems…

Well if we go by the opening cinematic, the hunters also have virtually unlimited jetpack fuel. :stuck_out_tongue: If it was an honest opening cinematic, it would’ve ended after the first one pooted out the last of their fuel after two dodges and then Goliath ran away to eat… then 4 solid minutes of arguing about which way the monster went!

Lol I forgot about the remaining hunters ability to channel the spirits of the dead and give him monster sense luckily the people I play with are either crap at giving directions or receiving them.

(Opening cinematic) Yeah if only we lived in that world where hunters can fly and dart around all day, rock throws hit bodies and didn’t explode, being harpooned mid air causes a monster to trip, and monsters would eat full orbital Barrages and still be like “come at me son”.

If I’m chasing a guy around a pillar because he’s waiting for the dropship, I run. If I’m Stage 2 and low on health, I go and armor up to evolve. If I’m Stage 3, break line of sight, then sneak around them to the back of the pillar.

I think flamebreath is the way to go. Walk around as fast as you can and slowly whittle the health down.

I have honestly never been challenged by a Pillar Humper then. Not sure how this happens, literally can’t imagine getting into a ring-around-the-rosie situation like this. I might wait for him to come around the other side, then LS to break his momentum and give him a face full of knockback.

Even though people will call it “Cheap” i just pounce em, i aint dealin with that crap

I love stringing bird alerts in an obvious direction so the hunters think I’m hauling ass one way and try to cut me off, just to sneak back in the direction I came from leaving the hunters all “Da fuq?”

If itis one of those pillars just stop chasing. Step back and line up your rock or leap smash and see what they do. If they keep circling into you hit them and if the hide on the other side your splash damage from your most leveled one will hit them and knock them away.

Very easy solution to your problem just jump on the pillar fire breath and wait for them to come back up since they won’t be able to see if your chasing them then from there on pelt him with attack s and he should be seperated from his team by then I had a match today with a lvl 40 team doing the same to me I had to retreat several times but it eventually worked it was a team with caira makarov hank and Abe

Is going for the relay not an option? I would imagine such behavior occurring when the hunter is the last man standing, so why not just lure them out?

Rarely, usually the pillar is close enough for the hunter to comfortably move in and out of cover and hit the relay, but even then, it’s dumb to not kill the final hunter when they’re RIGHT THERE. So infuriating.