Fan lore: Edward's story

I was writing for the pleasure of making a fan-lore. It’s something I had never tried before and I was happy with what I was making. This is also an opportunity for me to make references to things outside of the lore I’d like to share or to build my imagination.

Renald Hoffnung for example, the man within a Wraith is inspired from Leo in the game A Way Out and his ability to craft things with simple materials is based from survival games where even the simplest materials allows you to make useful items, gears, equipments and weapons. The way I think his equipments should look like would be from Fallout 4 since I’ve seen many models that looks hand-made in this game and that could fit perfectly for a tall character.

Don’t worry about that mate, some people will still read it no matter how boring and bland things get. It happens to everyone writing a story.

There it is, now I’m changing direction to give you something totally new.

Chapter 17

Chapter 17: Broken Hill

Date: Unknown, except it’s the future

Coordinates: Abandonned foundry

Renald, after days of travelling, discover from the top of a mountain what seems to be the remains of a facility.

Many cranes surround the border of the immense city, the industrial facility gives the taste of a dark, metallic and mostly mechanical buildings, steampunk maybe…but the lack of activity turned the place into a more sinister and unwelcoming place. The smell of charcoal, petrol, iron, bohrium and all kinds of metals and other residues stinked from kilometers, without mentioning the dense orange fog of pollution above the city.
As he gets closer, bellow the crane is a deep crevasse with transportation rails connected to a nearby factory.

This was the perfect place to settle for Renald as it might procure him an undepletable amount of ressources for his equipment. From raw materials in the mine to components and smelters in the foundry, Renald couldn’t imagine anything better.

As he get across the wires that used to protect the city, the fog becomes denser, the wind whistle softly on the roof of the visible houses, making noises of twisting metals. Renald hold his makeshift pistol tight in his hand, prepared for any ambush to come.
A loud, static voice emerge from the silence of the city, giving Renald a jump of surprise.

CRRRRRRRR This alert is an automated message. Attention, to all citizen, this is an emergency evacuation. All citizen must head to the exit for evacuation process. Repeat, this is an emergency evacuation. All citizen must head to the exit for evacuation process. FRRRRRRRR CLAC

The speaker shut itself down, putting back the city into its own silence. Renald continue on his way, leery of the speaker.
Atop the buildings facing Renald is the base of the dominant crane. As he climb up the stairs, a voice distant from the left, breaks the silence once again.

Renald was now certain that there is still life in this factory. He descent the stairs to get across a broken gateway, critters escape as they see the large Wraith passing through.
Renald end up in what seems to be a ghost town, some lights and neons are still on for an unknown reason.
Liquor, cocktails, surplus, bar, jackpot, Broken Hill brewery, there was lights everywhere. A larger neon above the town had the words “Welcome to Slagtown” written on it.

Large piles of junk were scattered all around Slagtown, sodas, spoiled food, papers, cardboards, the smell was foolish. The neon of a woman depicting a night club, dance frame by frame above Renald’s head.

“Shake, shake, shake your booty to the beat, beat, beat!” a voice reasonate from the speaker between the background beats.

“Yeah, like if I had to, ya prick.” respond Renald to the manly speaker.

The smell inside the night club was even more disgusting than all the mixed trashes around the town, Renald did not even want to know what was the cause of the smell. There was however a smell of alcohol leading to the brewery, a strong smell of beer scratching Renald’s sensors. Without resisting, he head to the brewery to find his own pleasure.

Arrived at the brewery’s entrance, Renald notice the barrels of beer next to the door. On them was written “Trapjaw. Colonial ale. Est 2327 Shear Colony”.

Looking at the date of the barrel, Renald was not surprised, consirering he had seen a lot of futuristic things after two months of survival and wandering.
Behind the brewery’s glass were three containers with each their type of drink. “Tyrant. Swamp water lager” “Trapjaw. Colonial ale” and “Reaver. Skull porter”.

Renald pick a Trapjaw barrel, open it with his claw and drink the liquid bottoms up, his skin glows pink as he drink. The barrel emptied, he throw it away in the junks with satisfaction.

“Aaah, yeah! 'ts been years since I haven’t drank a beer.” comment he.

Renald take a few barrels with him before leaving Slagtown. On his way, he notice a semi-open gate from “Nordita”. The gate is in bad shape and has been forced. Inside are crates of supplies and materials containing mostly colonial tools and ressources.

Curious to know what are the contents of the boxes, Renald tries to lift the gate, but it stays solid and inaccessible. Renald pass his hand trough the gate’s opening and struggle to touch one of the closest boxes, he get his hand back and pull out his scythe to catch his box. Now in range of his hand, Renald lift the box until he notice that it is too big to pass through.

With disappointment, he give up and continue to explore the surroundings. Further on the right is the core of the factory, crates of bohrium lay on an inactive conveyor belt and a large cast for molten metals was dug bellow the platform.

Renald decides to settle above the cast, it was the perfect place to make his own equipment from molds and advanced tools. All that was required for his tinkerings are now in his possession. The only thing that was missing was to know where are the controls for the machinery and how to operate them.

His settlement gets interrupted by a noisy metalic banging followed by an “Owee, it hurts!”. Alarmed, Renald lift his gun, both hands holding it.