Fan lore: Edward's story

I haven’t heard of this…is there anything a mod can do to free you up to edit?

They cannot, I’ve asked in the past

Is it because they don’t have the ability to allow such or because it’s in their rules?

They don’t have the ability

Well that sucks. The devs of discourse might have to work it out if someone told them about it…and if they want to change it.

Nope sadly mods cannot. It’s just the way discourse works. Kinda wish the devs of discourse would do something about it as I’m sure it’s caused problems in the past for people.

Honestly, before I clicked I said “April Fools”

Why? Because you usually upload at night at my time not the morning

The (real) chapter 9 is out, I’ve had quite some trouble trying to make the dialogues seem coherent. I just hope it’s not too bad.

Chapter 9

Chapter 9: A terrible misunderstanding

Date: Beyond 2379

Coordinates: Somewhere in the canyon

Edward could hear the beating of Sandrine’s heart, with a quick and heavy rythm. She was staring at the ground with tiny and sad eyes, nothing tells she was feeling “a bit better”.
There was a clean wound on her chest, probably the result of what the harpoon pierced during the fight. The wound was glowing with a blue color of melancholy.

She eventually notice her wound and put her clawy hand on it, eyes closed, thinking softly.

“May he die in peace…at last…” was she thinking as a respectful gesture to the dead.

She raise the head and open her eyes, turned towards Edward.

“Let’s go to that mech I planned this morning. I want to know more about this era and this planet.” she ask. She wasn’t sad anymore but she seemed serious when she talks.

Both ran side by side trough the canyon. In a couple of minutes, they headed where the mech was supposed to be, near a dust storm. The storm was gone, revealing an empty field of dry sand. Further, an orange fog of dust with a few dunes and some other massive pillars of stone decorating the empty sea.
The mech was gone, either it has been buried in the storm, either it wandered in the unknown during their sleep.

Sandrine searched everywhere, dug every mound she could, headed in every direction before comming back, but the mech was definitively gone.
Edward, on his side, stared at the field of nothingness, the wind was gently transporting sand as it shaped the tiny hills.
A light in the most distant sight through the fog, attracted his attention in which he immediately warned Sandrine.

“Hey, look over there! I see something.” Edward was pointing the minuscule dot of light far in the field.

“Mmmh…are you sure that you aren’t going crazy? I see nothing.”

“Just look!”

Sandrine watches the field patiently, the only thing she has been able to see is a tall spike angled against the foggy wind.

“Seriously, there’s nothing.”

Edward approach the side of his head to Sandrine still peering at the field and point the area.

“Follow my finger.”

Sandrine follow the finger of Edward with her eyes to finally discover the light.

“It’s hard to gue-I mean, I only see a light.”

“I don’t know what that light is, but it’s a light. I bet there’s civilisation far in this plain.”

“Wait wait wait wait wait, hold on a second there! You want to travel through a lifeless desert just to investigate a LIGHT? This field is empty, there’s nothing! Why would you risk to travel this desert for only a light that you barely see and so, might be dozens of kilometers far away? Are you going nuts!?”

Edward kept his silence, she was right in a way. Heading towards the desert seemed pointless.
But the squad was on their toes again, the URSS soldier jumps out of the canyon along his two other teammates.

“Yourrr life ends herrre, monsterrrs! Zis planet iz not yourrrs!” yells he.

Edward did not hesitate to run, but Sandrine did not move an inch. She was there, standing, watching the crew comming.

“Sandrine! What the fuck are you doing!? Run!”

She give a last look at Edward, she ignored his call. Edward turn back in the hope of sending her away from the hunters.
He grab her by the arm with little effort and disappear in the field. The electric man gave a last shout of anger.

“Bah, you know vat? Flee if you vant, Marrrkov does not carrre anymorrre, you vill rrrot in zis empty deserrrt!”

The fog was dense and windy, Edward could not see further than a few meters.
Sandrine was still held by Edward and could not bare it.

“Let me go! LET ME GO!”

Edward throw her on the ground violently, sending her spear in the loose and grasp her by the neck. His breath was burning hot with rage.

“You’re gonna talk now, what got through your mind to stay with those mad hunters?”

“What the fuck, Ed!? I don’t know.”

Edward propel his fist to her face. She gasp in shock.

“My ass you don’t know! I know your little game, I know you had something fishy! You thought I didn’t saw you when I called you!?”

“Jesus Christ, you’re insane!”

“But I’ve seen people who betrayed us in the army, you remind me one of them. Now TALK! Or else you’ll feel it comming.”

“God damn it Edward! Stop with your bullshit, you’re-”

Another punch hits her in the face with a stunning impact.

Edward was getting more and more violent, his thoughts became screams of madness “ARE YOU GOING TO TALK, YES OR NO?!”

“THAT’S ENOUGH!”

Her wings glow with a strong light and leave a powerful shock through Edward’s whole body, forcing him to let go.
Sandrine was now free from Edward’s dominance, she stand up heavily breathing with her hand on the neck.
Her face began to spill tears of blood and her top left eye was closed.

Her voice was rough and low, angered and immuable “I was trusting you at first…now see what you have done to me.”

The shock she sent to Edward calmed him in an instant, the pain in his muscles prevented him from moving, but he was still able to talk.

“Aaaah shit…it hurts…so bad…”

“That’ll be your lesson, asshole! Because you hurt me as well.”

Edward slowly stand on his feet, barely able to keep the balance. His arms were crossed to his stomach.

“Ok, ok. I…I get it, you’re stronger than me, I admit it.”

“Now that’s what I would call a turnaround. You should have kept your fists for yourself.”

“I get it, I get it! I…sigh…what was wrong with you when the squad chased us?”

“You still want to know? Fine, just because you ask it gently this time. But first of, you see this storm above us? We’re in it because of you, we’re in the middle of the fucking desert all of that because sir Edward thought it was a good idea to hide in it!”

“They were chasing us! Don’t you remember?”

“Oooh riiight, the quote unquote mad hunters. All I know is that they hunt down monsters for the good of this planet, and I mean the wild monsters that destroys everything in their path. Remember what you told me, that we’re not like those monsters. So I wanted to convince them that we weren’t the kind of monster they thought we would be…until you grabbed me by the arm and send us billions of kilometers away like the latest of the cowards.”

A moment of silence, only covered by the wind, took place. Edward look down, ashamed from what he has done.

“I…I’m sorry, I don’t know what went through me…I-”

“And you don’t know why you tortured me? OK, I’m done. Don’t talk to me.”

“But…”

“There’s no but! You shut up! Go sit somewhere else, you’re pissing me off.”

Edward grumbles and head to a pillar to cover himself from the wind, the time that the storm stop.
Sandrine did not move, she wanted to be away from him as far as possible.

Chapter 10 is out!

Chapter 10

Chapter 10: A friendly new face

Coordinates: Desert (in a dust storm)

The minutes passes, the storm still whistles and Sandrine was still seated on the ground, angered. Thankfully, she did not dare to abandon Edward in the storm, maybe it’s the fear of solitude.

Edward still felt guilty of his actions towards Sandrine, never did he like to keep someone sad or angered because of him.

“S-Sandrine?”

“Fuck off.” The anger of Sandrine was still present in her thoughts, yet she seemed calmer than before.

“Please, Sandrine…I-”

“Fuck oooff!”

Edward felt restrained from talking, but not for long.

“I know you’re angry, but I’m really sorry. I’m not usually this angry.”

Sandrine slightly turn the head and sigh.
Edward stand up from his quartz shaped pillar and slowly walk towards her to sit aside.

He continues: “Usually, when I was a human, I used to be kind. I helped my colleagues when they needed help, and so they were always kind with me. Now, I feel more aggressive…and hateful. I don’t feel myself anymore…”

Sandrine take a moment before responding: “Now that you mention it, this might apply to me as well.”

“What?”

She slide her hand to the face, the eye still closed. “It probably is the fact that we are monsters…”

She was much calmer, but she tried to keep calm besides her wounds and dry blood on the face.

“I should have known…” sais she.

“Why? What does it have to do with us being mons…oh…I get it now.”

His revelation gave a little light of hope to Sandrine, who thought she’d had to teach him like a child for her whole life.

“For once that you find out by yourself!” claims she.

“Oh, come on…”

“It was a compliment.”

Edward gazed at Sandrine for a few seconds before standing up.

“Anyway, I don’t like this place. We’re stuck in the middle of nowhere and I’m getting hungry already.”

“Already?! We just ate an hour ago.”

“I know but…I’m hungry.”

“Ok, so…uuuhm…we saw a light, but we lost it. I think it was…that way? Maybe? Yeah.” As she talk, she points a direction.

“I changed my mind, I don’t think it’s worth heading to that light. We should get back where we were before.”

“No, Edward. The hunters might still be there.”

“Shit…I forgot about them.”

And so, the Goliath and the Kraken both wander in a direction, hoping that they’d find a place out of this storm.
The minutes passes, the storm still hit the duo violently. The ground was getting odd with little slopes of square shaped rocks.

A road trail, dug in the ground and filled with pebbles, attract the attention of Sandrine. The trail was a formation of three lines, a typical road trail made by wheeled vehicles.

“Hey, Ed! I found something!”

“What is it? Tell me we’re gonna get out of this hellhole!”

“It’s a road track.”

“YES! Finally!”

“Woah there big guy, we haven’t found a way out of this tempest yet. Just, be patient.”

“Ok ok ok, fine, fine.”

Following the track, the rest of some kind of metalic structure with antennas, reveal itself in the short field. The structure looks like a massive and rusty building. Further, the building was dug in the ground with a large trail under it.
On the base of the structure, the letters and numbers “MG53” are written on a large scale.

“Looks like a crashed ship.” Says Sandrine with surprise.

“It’s so big!”

“Right? But it seems old, so I guess there’s nothing of interest inside…”

Ignoring the abandonned ship, both continue their way to finally discover a fence with warning signs, some inhabited control towers, a gate and a big industrial platform.

As they approach the fence, the storm dissipate, clearing the view. The ground was populated with sail like plants and dry grass.
The platform was high and held on three large support meshes.

Sandrine jump over the fence while Edward follows her.
She was relieved to exit the storm, as well as Edward.

“Finally some fresh air.” Says she, filling and emptying her lungs.

“What is this?” Ask Edward.

“Oh, this? I think it’s a landing site, I don’t know. Looks like it is.”

On the left was a big pillar, like a castle tower with a bridge on top. Nearby were two white houses and in front was a herd of cuttlefishes being attacked by a toad rock.

Edward immediately notice the herd and the fake rock and rush towards them desperately. Fire comes out of his mouth, the animals burn to his breath.

He quickly eat his dish, leaving nothing behind but clean bones. He was really hungry.
Sandrine watched him as he ate like a barbarian.

“My god, I didn’t expect you to be THAT hungry!”

“My stomach was hurting, it was unbearable.”

“But you just ate four or five of those running things and a big toad!”

“I don’t care, I was hungry.”

“God…”

After Edward finished his feast, Sandrine scout the area and discover another building. Three buildings in fact, three large unusual looking antennas, facing what seems to be a broken container.
A yellow liquid was dripping from the glass container. Sandrine did not feel well at the sight of this scenery.

“Uh…Edward?”

“What?”

“Look over there.”

Edward turn his head to discover the three antennas pointing the pod.

“Holly shit…”

“I don’t like this place. It looks like something has been experienced here and it got away.” says Sandrine feared.

Edward notice a red glow in front of the pod’s support.

“I see something else!”

“What is it?”

Edward approaches with caution to discover an egg, similar in shape and color. The egg is placed right in front of the side that reads “RELAY”, like if it was staged.

“There’s an egg!”

“An egg?!”

Suddenly, a voice, like a young girl, echoes from the egg.

“An egg? Wha…am I…am I alive? What’s happening?”

Edward was petrified. Sandrine rejoined him to discover the egg.

Edward speak quietly to Sandrine.

“I think there’s someone inside this egg.”

“Oh shit!” responds she, quietly.

The young girl’s voice keeps chatting alone while the duo slowly approach the egg.

“Maybe if I scream for help, they might hear me.”

As those words were pronounced, a loud, deep and bulky roar comes out of the egg “RHAAAAAALP!”

Eventually, the girl’s desperate scream ended into an intimidating roar, scaring even herself.

“Oh crap, was that…me? Please, don’t tell me it was me…please no…whimper

Edward decides to communicate with the girl in the hope of helping her.

“Miss! We heard you, we’re here to help you!”

The girl heard the voice of Edward, but she doesn’t know how to speak.

“Oh thank god, someone’s gonna rescue me.”

Sandrine take over Edward’s call to help her communicate.

“We hear your thoughts, miss. Who are you?”

“What the…really? Uuuh…my name’s…Caira?”

“Caira, right?”

“Holly shit…what’s happening?”

“I’ll explain later, me and my frie-ehr…colleague are going to help you. Do not panic!”

“Who the hell are you!?”

“Er…my name is Sandrine. But please, stay calm, we’re not here to hurt you. Edward, open!”

Edward remove the stones on the top of the egg and dig his claw in the egg’s flesh. His finger slide down the egg to leave an open space, Sandrine gently open the egg to uncover a mass of rock.

The rock had a heart and intestines hanging from the chest. It turns its head to the light, one eye opens itself, then a second, then a third and a fourth, a sixth and a seventh.
The heart of the Behemoth accelerates to an alarming rate.

“AAAH! MONSTERS!”

The creature punches Sandrine in the face as a reflex, knocking her to the ground and reopening the wounds that had healed.

“OOOOW my faaace…aaaahaooow”

Edward quickly grab Sandrine’s arm to help her stand back on her feet.

“Sandrine, are you alright!?”

“She punched me in the face…I’m bleeding again!”

The girl realise what’s happening and watch her right hand in shock.

“No…no, this can’t be right…no!”

Edward gives a quick look at the Behemoth while he take care of Sandrine.

“Be careful next time, dammit! She’s pissing blood now!”

“Edward! She couldn’t know. You can’t blame her for that.”

The Behemoth was there, standing still, lost, not knowing what to do.

“I…uh…uuuh…oh crap…”

Sandrine knew it was an accident from the girl to be punched, she was not angry at all.

“Caira, is that your name?” Says she.

“Y…yes.”

“Ok…uh…nice to meet you. So…darn it hurts…anyway, this Goliath you see at my side is Edward. Say hi, Ed.”

Edward raise the hand to salute Caira.

“And the Kraken that you just punched, that’s me, Sandrine.”

“You are monsters, how can you both be able to speak? And by telepathy?”

“We were humans, just like you.”

Caira stood silent, shocked, she never expected to hear such a phrase.

“The…wha…humans?”

“In fact, we don’t know either how we revived as monsters. We both died in our previous life. Edward was a soldier from the 20th century who got shot, and I am a pre-colonist from Europe II who died from a depressurization.”

“Crap…that’s even worse than I expected.”

“What do you mean?”

“I’m from this era, and I died right here.”

Been really enjoying these chapters lately

Really interested in seeing how the Chapter 11 plays out

@SledgePainter 'cause I know you wanna read again (like you said in our games).

Now comes the next chapter.

Chapter 11

Chapter 11: Link connection

Coordinates: An abandonned scientific outpost

A human, who died very recently at the same place, a surprise leaving Edward and Sandrine voiceless.
Caira was confused with the two monsters’ reaction who were both looking at each other.

She begin a step out of the egg, but fall on her chest leaving a crack on the ground of concrete.
The heavy sound of the thump jerked Sandrine’s whole body.

“Ow…” say Caira with a low and slightly annoyed voice.

Edward quickly react to try and get Caira on her feet.

“Shit! Don’t worry, I’m he-”

“DON’T TOUCH ME!” Scream Caira.

Edward quickly back up, the distress in her voice shut his thoughts to silence.

“I don’t trust you, I don’t know who you are. Leave me.”

“Please, calm down Caira, we don’t want to hurt you.” Calmly say Sandrine.

“How do you know about Earth’s story? What’s Europe II? You mean Europa? Jupiter II? There’s no colonist on this planet. You’re trying to lie to me with facts!”

Sandrine’s eyes widened, only her top left eye stood closed. “No…colonist?!”

“No colonist.”

Sandrine slowly turn towards Edwards, shocked, her glowing and empty eyes filled with anguish.

“What’s wrong?” Ask Edward.

“I…need some time alone.”

She turn back, climb the slope and hide behind one of the antennas.
Caira hesitated to run away, still confused of the situation.

Edward turn back to see her staggering backward.

“Hey, what are you doing?! You stay there!”

“Huhuh? Try to convince me then. Who the heck are you both?”

sigh…I was a soldier in my time…”

“How did the 20th century looked like? Tell me.”

“…It was…I don’t know, I was just a soldier, we had…boats…tanks, weapons…what can I say? I don’t know this planet, there are a lot of things that are seemingly not from my era. Soldiers are now super-soldiers here, it seems like they’re invincible…”

“Waiiiwaiwaiwaiwait, what? You said what? Super-soldiers that are invincible? You fought people?!”

“Ye-no, they fought us. We wouldn’t dare killing people!”

“Aren’t soldiers supposed to kill people without remorse?”

Sandrine was heard behind, with low hiccups comming from her direction.
Caira’s heart began to beat hard again. Was it the fear, or the empathy?

“Don’t move.” Ask Edward to Caira.

He climb the slope to find Sandrine laying her back on the antenna’s structure, face down covered by her hand.

“Come on now. Why are you crying?”

“It’s…it’s nothing. I’m just having some bad memories.”

“Is it related to your death?”

“Please…”

“What is it then?”

“It’s…about the colonisation. Caira said…she said that there was no colonist on Europa. No one ever stepped on this planet! Not even my family!”

“Hey hey hey, it’s in the past. You shouldn’t worry about people that had…that…anyway, who were there hundreds of years ago.”

“But it’s my family! They all died there!”

Edward put his hand on her shoulder.

“Listen, I’ve had a family as well. Parents, a brother, a sister. I’ve had the same feeling as you do before the travel from US to France. I knew what I was risking, I knew I’d probably never see my family.”

“But it’s different, because you knew it.”

“Anyway, it’s in the past, I’ve been trough it as well. Now hold on.”

He peek out his head from the antenna’s structure to keep an eye on Caira, but she was gone.

“Caira is gone!”

As Sandrine hear those words, she quickly jump on her feet to stand up.

“WHAT?”

“She has escaped, god damn it!”

“You could have kept an eye on her more often then.”

grumble “At least you’re not sad anymore, from what I see.”

“I don’t care, she must have left traces. Let’s follow them.” The sad mood of Sandrine has entirely vanished, only to let her feel frustration.

Caira’s footprints were very visible with deep steps in the dirt from the tunnel following the relay. The traces lead to a big and angered beast with a whide beak and a thick spiked tail.
The large animal charge on Edward who intercept it by maintaining its head.

“This thing is completely out of control!” scream Edward.

“Let me help you!”

Sandrine grab the left arm of the beast and pull it, inciting it to switch towards Sandrine who now has both hands holding the animal’s arms.
Edward grab its neck and twist it, bones crackles in the neck and the beaked monstrosity fall dead.

“Hooooo god…I feel like being in a horror movie.” exclaim Sandrine.

“I have to admit, that thing was pretty nasty to look at.”

“Now I’m hungry…”

“Damn it Sandrine, it’s not the time! Move!”

Leaving the corpse of the big quadruped, the tracks led to a little jungle. The dirt became green and the rocks were covered with leaves.
Further, tiny houses populated the other side of the jungle, which later revealed the broken pod. Caira did a loop back to the relay.

Near those houses was Caira struggling against a giant crocodile.
With a quick reaction, Edward jump on the back of the crocodile and force open its jaw, releasing Caira from the crocodile.
Edward finish the lizard by punching it to death, mashing its head until it flattens.

Caira was frightened by the violence of the scenery, her heart beating as fast as before.
Edward throw the beast in the pound to be sure it’s dead before giving a look at Caira.

"And it’s “Thank you, sir” "

“Uuuh…ok, thank you sir…” say Caira, exasperated besides the fear.

“So now you stay with us or else you’d end up eaten by the wildlife like this crocodile.”

“That’s a Tyrant.”

“So you know about this planet!”

“Yeah, seems like you don’t.”

“Do you trust us now?”

“I not too sure about both of you, you act just like a Goliath would be, but your companion seems much more different than a real Kraken. Anyway, becoming a monster after death, that is sooo cool…and also bad, now I can’t study the wildlife, like this Tyrant.”

Sandrine step forward to put herself in front of Edward.

“You’re a scientist?”

“Yeah, I’m a biologist. I know most of the creatures on this planet, but those monsters are a real mystery. I think I don’t need to name every monster since you already called the names Goliath and Kraken.”

“Yup, we’ve found a mech yesterday with infos about those monsters. Goliath, Kraken, Gorgon, Behemoth, Wraith, and-”

“A mech? But that’s illegal!”

“That doesn’t surprise me, when we fought it, it was damaged and was out of control. It bragged with a filthy mouth as well.”

Caira’s seven eyes become suspicious, as she was thinking something felt wrong.

“So it was damaged, it was out of control, it had a filthy mouth…was it an AI?”

“Yes, definitively.”

“So it was controlled by a demon core. It’s a processor you shove in a robot to make it super aggressive.”

“Wow. Anyway, there was a said sixth “monster” in the files of this mech, and it was under the name of Kala.”

After hearing the name of Kala, Caira step back abruptly.

“KA…KALA?”

“You know her?” ask Edward.

“How in the hell did you know about her?”

“I just told you, we found her name in the files of the mech!” Say Sandrine annoyed in her voice.

“What did it say about her?”

“Something about a man who spied her and who think she deserve to be killed. That mech had a stolen sample of DNA from the monsters she studied, so the mech could shoot anything that matched the DNA.”

“Oh…my god.”

“By the way, I’m hungry.”

“Oh no, not this…I mean, I feel you, but I fear that you’d have to evolve if you eat too much.”

“Evolve?” Say Sandrine and Edward simultaneously.

“Yup, evolve.”

Holy shit this stuff is noice.

Lol Edward starts to evolve sees spend 3 points screen.

Chapter 12, BOOM, here it is!

Chapter 12

Chapter 12: The capital

Coordinates: An abandonned scientific outpost

Edward and Sandrine both look at each other, wondering what are the consequences of evolution.

“How do you know about those monsters? And how do you know Kala?” Ask Edward with suspicion.

“She is a scientist I barely met, she studies monsters and she’s so into it she injected HNA in herself. I studied those monsters as well, but she knows much more about them than I do.”

“And what’s that thing with a pod surrounded by devices?” Interrogate Sandrine.

“It was supposed to keep a Wraith in this pod. The scientists who were here, were dissecting it to reproduce the teleportations it was capable of, then they called us…” she gets interrupted by Sandrine who was wildly eating the Tyrant in front of everyone.

Sandrine notice the two judging her with disgust.

“I…I couldn’t bare the hunger…”

Caira shrug her left arm while looking at Edward with awkwardness.

“How does it…taste?” Ask she.

“It’s slimy…yuck.”

“You…please, you just had to ask me to cook it.” Awkwardly say Edward.

“Can I have some time alone…again?” ask Sandrine.

“Why?” question Caira.

“I’m just gonna eat that thing Edward has killed on the way.”

“You’re tiring me Sandrine. Fine, go eat it. And be careful.” Say Edward annoyed.

Sandrine run away to the corpse of the large bipedal, disappearing from Edward’s sight.

“Where were we?” Ask Caira.

“About the Wraith in the pod.”

“Oh right, so there was scientists who were dissecting a Wraith to reproduce its ability to teleport, but they were attacked by monsters. So they called us to protect them.”

“You were one of the scientists who were dissecting it?”

“No, not at all. I was not part of it. It’s here since months before we arrived here.”

“But who’s we?”

Right as Edward finish his sentence, screams resonate throughout the entire forest, screams of pain and terror.
The screams crawled through his skin, but Edward knew they were from Sandrine. Without hesitation, he run where she headed…until he find her.

She was here, standing with black goop covered on her whole body, bubbles bulged from her body, tiny pieces of skin were flying around her forming a swarm.
Shocked, Edward step back to realise Sandrine has grown bigger. She grew half of her size and outsized everyone. The process end up, Sandrine was trembling and panting.

She raise the head to see Edward taking distances and Caira standing in front, who was instead admiring the view.

“Wha…what happened? Is it over?” say she, still trembling.

Caira approaches closer with enlarged and curious eyes.
Sandrine’s top left eye no longer bleed, the wounds on her face healed, but the mark on her chest stood intact.

“You evolved, you actually evolved. Oh man, I love to see the nature doing its process, I can’t wait to see you evolving to stage three!” say Caira with excitement.

“Is THAT evolving!?” adds Edward, still unconfident of the situation.

“Yeah! That’s how you evolve, and you can see that Sandrine is stage 2. Fascinating, right?”

Sandrine put her hand on her face, touching her top left eye. She could now open it freely.

“I have never felt so much pain. I don’t want to feel it again, it’s even worse than decompression.”

“Ho…” Say Caira, her joyful face disappearing as she say so.

Caira give a quick view on Edward who was terrified and a few meters further.

“Don’t tell me you’re scared, Edward. It’s nothing, come on.”

“She has grown bigger! She…”

“So? I like it that way.”

“I mean, she’s huge!”

“But is it bad for us? Mmmmmaybe, or maybe not, I don’t know.”

Sandrine gives a gentle push to Caira, trying to give her attention.

Whispering, she say “Hey, what if we scare him a little? I want to try.”

“No, that’s not a good idea. Don’t do that.”

Sandrine sigh, frustrated. She still hope she could scare Edward off, for the sake of having a good laugh. Caira’s denial makes her feel she won’t ever be able to.

Edward, now aware of Sandrine’s still peaceful nature, approach slowly, step by step.

“She’s still herself, right?” Say he.

“Yes…” say Caira exasperated by Edward’s lack of trust.

“So…shall we get out of here?” Ask Sandrine.

Both Caira and Edward respond with a synchronised “YES!”, no one wanted to stay near the experimental pod. No one liked this place.

“That’s what I wanted to hear. By the way Caira, you have arrived on this planet, maybe you know where we are located.” Say Sandrine.

“I seriously don’t know, this place is supposed to be top secret and it’s not mapped on the planet. I don’t know where we could be situated.”

“Darn…so we’re stuck here?” Say Edward.

But then, three honks followed by a voice, loud and distant, shatter from the abandoned scientific outpost.

“ACIVATION OF THE EMERGENCY BATTERY.
CURRENT BATTERY LEVELS AT 58%.
THE MYERS THEOREM IS NOW TRUE.
THE RIFT CAN BE PERFORMED SAFELY TO A SPECIFIC DESTINATION.”

Caira recognise the voice. After having stared at the sky, she head to the relay.

“Someone’s in the observation bunker!” Say she, while turning her head to the duo.

The two latecomers follow her. Arrived at the relay, the devices lighten up with an orange light at their top while a loud alarm sounds in the distance.

The trio expects a fight, but the alarm switches from low to high, blasting their ears and preventing them from concentrating on the surroundings.
All cover their ears, Caira had no other choice but to let her ears hurt and to jiggle in uncontrolled movements.

While the three were suffering from the alarm, Edward notice a man wearing a helmet, sprinting in front of them. His clothes are white with blood soaked on, the helmet is in fact a pair of earmuffs to protect his ears.
The man’s earmuffs suggest that he elaborated the alarm to escape. The man stop for a moment, in front of him appear a large and black mass of void. The man jumps in an disappear.

Edward uncover his ears trying to endure the pain, grab Sandrine’s large arm, strongly shake Caira to calm her down and point the black void.
Caira enter the rift first and disappear, Edward hold Sandrine’s arm tightly and jump in together.

After having entered the void, Edward fall on Caira’s hard back, Sandrine fall nearby on the ground, the mouth sliding on the floor.

“AH! Dammit, you’re so heavy!” scream Caira.

“Sorry!”

The rift brought the trio in a city and the man was already gone. The city was tiny with strange houses made of metal and wood, some were even destroyed, a wall with blades on top covered the area.
The city was silent, nothing showed any sign of activity, nor of life, it was a ghost city.

“This is New Calico, the biggest city on the planet.” Say Caira.

“Doesn’t seem that big for a city.” Say Sandrine.

“I know, but I’ve been here before, my crew and me were deployed here to protect the city from waves of monsters. The generators took a big hit, but we saved aaall the colonists from the monsters.”

“If what you say is true, Caira, I’m impressed. How many of you were fighting the monsters?” Say Edward astonished.

“We were more or less a dozen of hunters, no one died during the attacks, gladly.”

Edward slightly nodded, impressed by how a little number of people could defend an entire city from gigantic monsters.

“I’ve seen a man who entered the rift, have you seen him?”

“A man? What, there’s still survivors on this planet?”

“There are, he’s not the only one I’ve came across.”

“So let’s find him! Try to sniff around, the monsters have a great sense of smell from what I’ve learnt in my researches.”

“Uuuh…alright, thanks for the tip. You heard her, Sandrine?”

“Yeah, but I already smell blood, it’s strong…like it stinks.” Respond Sandrine

“Blood?” Ask caira slightly unconfortable.

“Follow me, I know where it is.”

Sandrine lead the walk, doing zigzags between the houses and hitting a few signs attached to them. But the man they were searching for, scream in the distance.

“No, NO, NO, HAAAAAAA-” then, a heavy thump shakes the air, like something planting itself in the ground.

Warned by the scream, all three hasten to the scream to finally end up on a parcel with a large floating creature.
The creature was slightly taller than Sandrine and had the form of an eyeless woman-like monster, with a pair of blades, tentacles replacing the feet, long antennas on the back and a separated mouth.

The man they were searching for was planted within the monster’s scythe, he was ripped in half, flowing blood on the dirt, the eyes lifeless.

“Oh crap, it’s a Wraith!” Exclaim Caira.

The Wraith turn the head wildly against the three other monsters, exposing its pair of sharp teeth.

“It’s the Wraith from our nightmares!” Scream Sandrine.

“No, the one I had was black with the face of a dead!” Exclaim Edward.

Caira was confused “Nightmare!?” Say she.

The Wraith launches itself into a dash of particles and swing one of its blades on Caira’s back, thanks to the stone, it protects her from the hit.

“AH! Dammit!”

Edward leap on the Wraith bravely, sending it on the ground. He takes advantage of it to breathe fire on its head before getting blasted off by a powerful force.
He roll nearby Sandrine who start to throw her tesla balls against the Wraith. The balls home in on the Wraith, destabilising it for a moment.

Caira send her arms in the air and slam the ground with great force, sending the Wraith in the air. However, it nulified the effect of the tesla balls from Sandrine.
The Wraith quickly regain stability until a second Wraith pops out of its body before the real one disappears.

“What the heck is that kind of bullshit!? A second Wraith!?” Say Edward, frustrated and angered.

The clone dash into the group and swing its blades against Sandrine, but the blades felt light and couldn’t cut much through her armor.
The clone disappear into clouds, Edward gets surprised by the real Wraith who appear in his back. It catches him and bring its blade in the sky, preparing for a heavy hit.

Edward thought it was the end once again, he close his eyes, fearing death.
But then, Caira intercept the Wraith’s attack with…her extremely long tongue.

“NO YOU DON’T! GET OVER HERE!” Caira, with her tongue, pull back the Wraith’s blade and make it slide on the ground towards her.

Edward stand up and watch the Wraith screaming before getting its head hit hard by Caira’s massive hand.
The Wraith escape Caira’s grab and flee without watching behind.

Edward approach Caira without a word and stand still. Caira wait for a response, but he stay silent.

“Uuuh…what’s wrong? Edward?”

He tend his hand but his face stood emotionless.
Caira stare at his hand for a few seconds before grabbing it. Edward grab hers with his other hand and shake it.

“I owe you that, Caira. You saved me from this Wraith.”

“Uh, no problem. I mean, you don’t have to be so serious.”

“I still give you my respect, it is not common that someone save the life of another at this stage. I will remember it.”

“I already saved a lot of people, so I’m used to it.”

“Whatever how many you saved, I still respect you.”

“He’s tiring me…” Say she alone.

Sandrine laugh in the background after those last words, Edward palm his hand on the face due to Sandrine’s laugh giving him shame.

Wait Caira is a behemoth?

Yes, since chapter 10, you didn’t knew? Edward and Sandrine found her in an egg next to Wraith Trap’s relay.

Oh ok. Lol.

Is it because Caira is so thicc? I need to know for medical purposes.