Trapper is, in my opinion, the hardest and most important role on the console-version of Evolve (also referred to as ‘Legacy Evolve’). A good trapper will win you the game more often than a good medic/support/assault. Positioning is SO important in this game, as I’m sure you’re starting to learn.
I’ll give you a few pointers:
Before finding the monster
At the very beginning of the game, the whole team must try to track the monster (if there are footsteps, get an idea of the direction the monster is heading to). The different trappers have a tool which will help with tracking (follow daisy and she will show you where the monster went, even when sneaking).
Once you’ve found the direction that the monster has gone, open your map and look for possible routes it’s likely to have taken. top tip: Most monsters will run to the edge of the map and then will be forced to go left or right. Send the rest of your team into the bush to find the monster, whilst you sit in a central (elevated) position, saving jetpack and waiting for your prey. If your team aren’t braindead and the monster hasn’t been sneaking the whole way, they will find the monster. Now the trapper comes into their own:
Catching The Monster
Allow your teammates (especially your assault, who should be ‘playing the bloodhound’) to corral the monster, calling out and pinging it’s location as they go. As it becomes clear that the monster is fleeing in a certain direction, you must then haul ass in order to head-off the beast and throw that dome.
Congratulations! You have caught the monster! However…is it a ‘good dome’?
As you learn the game better, you will start to learn which areas work well are advantageous for a ‘good dome’. This will be an area which has:
- Elevation for your squishy medic/support
- Things to mitigate/run around (trees, boxes, small rocks)
NO LOOPS- A loop is an area which will allow the monster to run from the hunters in a circle. This will allow the monster to mitigate damage, which usually means the dome was ‘bad’
- Other monster and hunter specific attributes that I don’t have the time to go into here
Once in the fight, different trappers will each have their own positioning and attributes. Maggie has the following:
- 3 Harpoons (very strong vs nearly all monsters- particularly the goliaths). Try to place the harpoons at the top and bottom of cliffs and slightly around corners that your teammates will flee around (these will mean the monster has to turn 180 degree to break the ‘poon’.
- SMG- Fairly high damage weapon with horrible spread. Burst fire this bad boy whilst your harpoons are reloading .
- Daisy- She will track the monster (as above) but she will also revive other hunters. This is SO valuable! When another player goes down, the monster must camp that body if a daisy is on the field- allowing the rest of the team to get lots of free damage.
Remember- don’t ever watch your reload animation: Put down the 'poon, fire one clip of your gun, put down the next 'poon and so-on.
End of dome
With around 10-15 seconds remaining (the trapper character will often shout something to tell you, or you can keep an eye on the dome icon in the bottom corner) , place harpoons in the likely escape path for that extra damage.
When the monster initiates the fight
WAIT on that dome. Dont’ throw it until the monster has had enough. Remember, the dome is to trap a fleeing monster, NOT an engaging on. This goes double for the Stage 3 fight at the relay. Wait until the monster’s armour is nearly out and then throw the dome. That’s 60 seconds of pure health damage
TL;DR Trapper is hard.