DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG not solved yet?

Hello people, it has been 1 year since I quit Evolve and the Forum. It’s good to come back to the game that I loved so much.

I’ve heard about TU09, and I hope I can play with users in Asia. So I’ve been trying to practice for the upcoming patch…
However, this infamous bug seems to persist even after a long time.

Here is my DxdiagOutput.txt.

Operating System: Windows 7 Professional K 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1
Language: Korean (Regional Setting: Korean)
Processor: Intel® Core™ i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16228MB RAM
DirectX Version: DirectX 11
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 780 Ti

The problem I am having, is that Only during matches, this Cryengine error occurs. It happens every match that it is impossible to finish a match. I tried lowering my Graphic Settings to minimum, but it does not work.
It is very weird because I certainly remember when at release, I never had this problem even with Ultra Graphic Settings. I know that after some patches (like 4 months after release) this error has been appearing.

Is there a new solution that TRS or normal players found?

Welcome back to the forums!

To help with that bug, try to submit information on it to here as well.

Also, if you havent already, check out this thread to see everything we currently know about TU9.

Thank you. Though I couldn’t send a report due to some kind of network error, I still appreciate the help.

Well, I hope they find a solution as soon as possible.

Your drivers are all upto date, yes? How old was the GTX 780 Ti? It could very well be that the Gfx Card struggles to run the game but none the less, I’ll tag @ArPharazon to see what his thoughts are.

Actually I believe the GTX 780 Ti is quite a nice card, more than strong enough for Evolve. Perversely, this bug seems to strike more often at high performance video cards.

We have been working with Nvidia for months on this issue, and the investigation is ongoing. Nvidia still has people and machines assigned to it. For some people (unfortunately, none of them in-house at TRS, 2K, or Nvidia) the crash happens frequently enough to be an obstacle to playing the game. Thankfully, we believe the number of people afflicted has dropped a lot in recent months. There are still some.

About the crash: it is a generic message that tells us only some very basic information. Essentially, the GPU stopped talking to us, and the driver had to reset it. Why? Could be a driver bug, or could be we fed it some garbage. The driver finds out what happened only after some time has gone by, like when your call gets dropped on your mobile phone. (After you’ve heard nothing but silence for a while, you deduce that the person on the other end is no longer there.) Once the driver resets the hardware, it returns a “we’re screwed” message to the game, and we dutifully shut down as there is nothing more to be done.

In short, the root cause is buried deep, making it extremely difficult to discover for both us and Nvidia. No one has given up looking for it yet.

What can you do now? I agree with TW, check for any driver updates. Nvidia notes that they have had zero success reproducing the bug with latest drivers on their test hardware, and have seen the bug only with a certain set of old drivers. That does not mean the bug is fixed – it won’t be fixed until we find out what really happened and put a stop to it. It means that driver version may influence whether or how often it happens.

Also, since you’ve tried low graphics settings, try maxing them instead. Loading up the GPU with work might help.

I’m very sorry to have to give such an unsatisfactory answer.

Thank you ToiletWraith, Wednesday13 and ArParazon for giving me a hand :^) Especially ArPharazon for detailed explanation.

My GTX 780 Ti is up to date, its driver version is 368.39.
I’ll try maximizing graphics setting and add a reply about the results, after 3~4 custom matches.

I’ve played 4 Hunts and 3 Arena custom matches, and I got 2 Hung Errors out of 7 matches.
I am still concerned about it, but at least it doesn’t happen everytime anymore. Thank you for the help, I’ll keep my eyes on the error!

It might be worth a shot to reinstall your drivers again. Perhaps download them from the website instead of using any disk or download software from Nvidia.

Just a suggestion.

It’s still depressingly frequent. Thanks for the update.

Edit: Are you using streaming software, by the way?

@ArPharazon Sorry for the late response X(
No, I’m not a streamer so I don’t use any kind of streaming softwares. I only turn on the game when I play games.