Don't Stay in School (video)

Here’s a really though provoking video. It really shows you how flawed the current education system.

10 Likes

This makes you think about life itself

Yup. This video shows us of the many problems related to the use of an antiquated system originally designed over 100 years ago to train people to work in factorys and other similar places of employment.
The actual core system has unfortunately not been updated for modern times as is seen in that video. Hopefully it can get reworked or torn down and replaced with something better.

The education system is indeed flawed and that’s largely due to a rapidly changing world. What we currently learn is based on an antiquated economy. It is more or less a mold for corporations to train its future employees, but it doesn’t train us how to be leaders/businesse owners.

A college degree is more or less a receipt of completion. It’s not a guarantee that you will have a job. Even in the medical field now.

Of course, education still has its uses, foreign language, grammar, math, science, and history.
These are still necessities to learn

The education system is failing at teaching basic life skills. But hey, we as humans are totally capable of creating a better future for ourselves. It’s up to us to step up, because thinking that college and a steady job is the safest way to live is foolish.

Hmmm I’m not too sure about this, education could’ve been the experience this guy needed to realize his haircut will get him beaten up everywhere.

:stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

School is not supposed to teach you how to live and act as adapted to social norms human beeing. Life itself is. You are not even asked if you want to be born yet everyone expect you to know ‘how to life’.

[quote]Article 26.
• (1) Everyone has the right to education. Education shall be free, at least in the elementary and fundamental stages. Elementary education shall be compulsory. Technical and professional education shall be made generally available and higher education shall be equally accessible to all on the basis of merit.
• (2) Education shall be directed to the full development of the human personality and to the strengthening of respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms. It shall promote understanding, tolerance and friendship among all nations, racial or religious groups, and shall further the activities of the United Nations for the maintenance of peace.
• (3) Parents have a prior right to choose the kind of education that shall be given to their children.[/quote]
It is stated in our human rights that education should be directed to the full development of the human personality and strengthen the respect for human rights. (although we aren’t even taught our rights).

This is your job and your parents job. Count yourself lucky you even get the option of a public education.

Oh and who exactly enforces this human bill of rights you posted? Or is there 0 actual force or power behind it, besides rhetoric? If Im a woman in Saudi Arabia can I walk up to the king and throw this in his face?

TL;DR: First world problems

1 Like

I feel like they shouldn’t take it for granted. I’d have killed for the education these people get. ._. You wanna know the rest? Learn it yourself.

1 Like

I love this guy, but those are things you can (and should) learn from your parents. I know I am because I will be leaving soon and that is what is being taught to me from them.

Granted, my school is more progressive than most in terms that I hav a class 100% devoted to getting me into college and learning and helping me get INTO college and understand the process. Also, all of those things that he says are useless? Practically yes they are but they are so that you can be a cultured individual, and not be like the uneducated hicks that I have run into in some unfortunate internet arguments.

It is so that you can be more intelligent than the poeple saying “vaccines give yoiu autism” and those that say “nuclear powerplants shouldn’t be allowed because they will go and explode” Or that they would spread the radiation with the radioactive cloud of steam (it never touches ANY form of radiation).

It is so that the average person gets more and more intelligent every passing generation by rasing the standard of what they should learn like baisic math and then more complicated stuff. Will I be using the Calculus that I am learning? most likely not, butit allows me to have a conceptual understanding of mathematics and will therefore allow me to make better connections in the future.

I just realized I was ranting. huh. I guess I needed to get this out of my system. make of it what you will, I am not necessarily coherent when I am passionate about a subject.

He actually addresses that point here:

Video should play at the right time. It’s two minutes and ten seconds in where he says it.

Hmm. there is a point in there, I just don’t agree with the title of the music video and the things that he insinuated were pointless when they really are not. (for said reasons in the rant/comment)

I think that those subjects should be touched upon, now taht I have seen this video. It would certainly help other people.

I have to admit though, I only have a basic idea of how to prepare for a job interview and how to make a resume.

I know I am more fortunate than some, but, in retrospect, my comment was rather insensitive to others that were not as fortunate as I am to have an amazing school that has teachers that really care.

good god, it must be late if I am rambling this bad. checks time oh ya, way too late for me.

The problem is still that this guy expects a school, parents, or other people to spoonfeed him everything about life instead of figuring some things out himself. That’s not going to happen, and if it did we would produce a generation of people who wouldnt be able to think and learn by themselves at all. Any new experiences or hardships (that are going to happen in the real world) will be a giant hurdle to these people.

TL;DR: Kid still needs to learn life’s most important lesson: suck it up and:

EDIT: You can tell he hasn’t learned this by his reactions to every comment about his hair.

1 Like

Its so true though. After finishing school I can tell you now that 90% of the stuff I learnt to pass my exams in Maths, English and a lot of other “important subjects” I have forgotten because I know I will never use them again. You should only learn what needs to be learnt and what interests you for a future career. Which doesn’t happen to be the works of Shakespeare.

1 Like

That can be mitigated by reducing the amount of time people spend in a common core and increasing the amount of time people spend pursuing a career. Like cutting 2 years off the standard public education and allowing kids to go to a sort of community college at 16 instead of 18. I learned world(western) history so many damn times that I didnt need to study once I got to the high school level.

He’s not wrong that school systems are not the best for learning how to deal with the real world. Teaching to the test is one of the worst things you can do in education. If anything weight needs to be taken off of tests and put into projects. Projects tend to teach people the practical application of what they are learning, and also better mirror how people handle things in the real world. All a test does is reinforce the theory.

However a common core is important culturally, as someone put it. Also, you have to learn basic math and basic chemistry before you pursue that psych degree that helps your friend with his depression.

If anyone actually listens to this video and drops out of school, lmao I wish you the best of luck in life

Here’s a video where he goes over comments from his video.

Its kind of hard when he calls disagreements hate and cherry picks comments while blurring the rest out, but here goes:

A lot of his argument revolves around the idea that kids should be able to choose what they study. Yet he never states when they should start, what they should should be able to choose, how this should be done. Its all rhetoric that schools just force them into subjects.

In fact his idea seems to be based on the assumption that children have the capacity to make informed decisions about their life, but he fails to take into account maturity**. Some people know what they want to do at 5, others 15, others 25, and some never. What do you do when every elementary school kid becomes like a college freshman: bouncing from subject to subject and never gaining any in depth knowledge?

Let’s turn this the other way around and say you get to choose at high school. Why should a 13 year old kid that doesn’t know what he wants to do with his life be forced to make decisions like this. Maybe there’s some literature, history, math, or science that he has yet to know about or discover.

Or maybe, knowing children, that person and many others will pursue acting, music, or pro sports careers that only the top 1% make it in. And then those people have no knowledge to fall back on.

Basically its like this guy wants some sort of utopia but that aint gonna happen.

**I am a firm believer that public education is very important for maturity. It teaches you that sometimes you have to learn what you don’t want to and be around people you dont want to. And if you can’t handle things like that, life is going to suck.

He didn’t take law did he? O.O
That’s where you’d learn about… the Law >.<
Well sorta >.>

But in all honesty… Yeah, school is like that -_-
But at least doing good there will give you a good job right? O.O