CryEngine is now free

So Crytek just announced today that CryEngine is going to be free like Unity and Unreal. SOunds pretty cool!

I wonder if this will affect/change the ability to mod things in Evolve. Hmmm…

If that ever happens, I want to play as Behemoth reskinned to look like Totoro.

I’m going to make some pretty cool maps. If I knew anything about coding I would love to take a shot at making a few monsters I have in the back of my head, but I think I’ll just stick to basic map making as a small possibility. I’ve made lots of maps in other games going all the way back to the original Doom and Duke Nukem 3D.

You sir, have my curiosity.

That’s the first thing which popped on my mind…

I’d assume it probably won’t change the modding ability. Usually they have to sign shit that locks in the terms of the license so I would be surprised if this change affects Evolve.

Well, I think TRS uses a specific and heavily-modified build of the CryEngine, so unless we had that, and a special mod kit, I doubt we’d get the option.

It would be great if we could mod. I love mods. Sadly, though, it doesn’t seem feasible.

I’d LOVE to be wrong, though.

I’d download a mod that made everyone become Crow. Even the Monsters.

I might try CryEngine’s map editor out, see how well it fares against UE4’s.

Always wanted to make a landscape similar to that of Shadow of the Colossus, but damn rock assets are expensive yo.

This could be the start of user-made maps.

:emetoh::emetoh::emetoh::emetoh::emetoh:

Just the sample environment that comes with it looks fantastic, including the rocks

Also, @Jay tweeted this bundle earlier today

Urgh! All I’m getting is internal server errors!

Teach me… How to… CryEngine…

I don’t know anything about coding, but I can model stuff and import the models to the Cryengine.

Can you make… rocks?

yeah I can make anything I want.

Make me like one of your French rocks.