Crash at startup since last update (Vista)

Since the last update I can’t play Evolve. When I try and launch it through steam I just get a generic “Evolve had stopped working” almost immediately.

If I go to the Bin64 folder and run Evolve.exe then I get an error message.

My OS is Vista 64 bit, that might have something to do with it. I know it’s getting out dated now but I could play the game fine until this latest patch.

1 Like

Go into our helpful tech guide here:

And reinstall Vcredist and DirectX from the Game’s directory files (steps on how to do this can be found in the thread). Let me know if it worked or not.

1 Like

No he’s right I think. I think nothing will help without a fix to the code. I think there is something that will help, something that was supposed to be there except I made a typo in it, and it was never noticed because no one tests on Vista (which is below minspec, though we don’t deliberately prevent it from working on that OS).

2 Likes

Oh well…in that case, euhm, there is indeed nothing that can be done other than either upgrade the OS?

1 Like

I believe so. Earliest a fix can come out is a week from now if I can violate our QA protocols, two weeks otherwise. I’ll do what I can.

3 Likes

Thanks a lot man. I know vista isn’t officially supported so I appreciate it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

You’re welcome, and I’m sorry for causing the bug. And thank you, both for the report (no one will be able to run on Vista until this is fixed), and for being so gracious about it. Moment I saw the error, I was like “aww shit, this has my name all over it”. :disappointed:

Prospective fix is done and on its way to QA – however I believe we have no Vista machines on which to test it.

3 Likes

Nicest bug thread ever, thanks @Wilson!

5 Likes

Evolve doesn’t support Vista. They’re working to fix it, but I really recommend updating your system to Windows 8 or 10.

Can you play again with today’s patch?