Copy/Paste Breaks Bullet Points in Preview

Copy paste is doing some weirdness with bullet point formatting if you copy paste it. Tried in Firefox and Chrome. Adding @codinghorror for visibility. This gets really annoying if I want to move things around in this thread:

Take this example:

Multiplayer:

• GeneralTiming specific issue where a party of four players connect to another player who just entered the hosting state of matchmaking

If in the edit window (not the preview or the actual post) I copy it, and then paste it, it comes out like this:

Multiplayer:

• GeneralTiming specific issue where a party of four players connect to another player who just entered the hosting state of matchmaking

If I delete the space before the dash and re-add it, it will bullet point correctly. Help!

EDIT:

HOLY SMOKES, BATMAN. Although it looked wrong in the preview window, it totally looked correct after actually posting it. So it seems just the preview is broken when editing posts.

I thought I was going crazy lol

2 Likes

Do you mean copy pasting from the rendered post, or from the editor?

Markdown rules for bullets are pretty simple. I’d need to know which section you are referring to, what content, etc.

Copy pasting from the editor

Not totally following, I looked at the post and multi-level indent should be fine, just try to use two spaces:

• item parent
    • item child

• item grandchild
        • item great-grandchild
      • item parent
        • item child
          • item grandchild
            • item great-grandchild

Might be easier to see in a fixed-width font as needed, so you can “line them up”. You can also use - or * or + to distinguish the lists (these are interchangeable)

I would recommend for giant lists-of-lists try to use headings instead of super-deep bulleted lists for your own sanity e.g.

3) Parent

• stuff
  • more stuff
  • even more stuff

3.1) Child

• stuff
  • more stuff
  • even more stuff

3.1.1) Grandchild

• stuff
  • more stuff
  • even more stuff

At least in part of it.

Ok, let me try to explain again. This happens for all content all over the forums for me. Even to stuff I just typed in the reply window.

Here are the steps:

1. While making a new post or replying, make a bullet point.
  2. Copy said bullet point from the editing window.
  3. Paste said bullet bullet point into a different location in the post.
  4. Observe that in the preview window, it appears that the bullet points format isn’t working correctly, as it’s just showing a dash and looks the same as editing window (with out bullet point formatting.)
  5. Replay/make the post.
  6. Observe that after it was posted, the bullet point became formatted correctly.

This also happens for me when I prep a post in an outside program (like NotePad++ which I use because it’s visually easier to see, so I can line them up as you mentioned.) Once I copy over the text from NotePadd++ into the editing window, none of the formatting is showing up correctly in the preview window. But once I post it, everything is working fine.

It just makes it incredibly hard to double check everything since I can’t see the formatting before I press post/reply.

Aha, maybe this is because you have only pasted and not “pressed any key” in the editor window?

I can see that happening if you paste content in – the editor refreshes on keypress, and a paste event is not exactly a keypress.