Chimpanzees better Evolve gamers than Humans?

Ever since the dawn of time, many men, such as Francis Galton, have tried to reduce intelligence down to a single component. They have succeeded:

Working memory refers to the very short-term retention of information by human beings, and can be measured by the digit span test or Corsi block test:

The average human, when presented with a series of numbers at 1 per second, can remember 7 forward and 4 backwards.

For the Corsi block span test, it is around 4 in front and 3 backwards.

Many studies have found that working memory is a better indicator than full scale IQ for many things that are loaded on short term memory requirements:

The correlation between a measure of working memory capacity (WMC) (Operation Span) and a measure of fluid abilities (Raven Advanced Progressive Matrices) was examined. Specifically, performance on Raven problems was decomposed by difficulty, memory load, and rule type. The results suggest that the relation between Operation Span and Raven is fairly constant across levels of difficulty, memory load, and rule type. Thus, it appears something other than the number of things that can be held memory is important for the shared variance between these two tasks. The results are discussed in terms of the importance of attention control as a possible link between working memory capacity and fluid abilities.

There, more short term memory = higher intelligence, for things like playing Evolve, which requires one to carry in their minds, many steps and strategies to beat the hunters.

Humans have long thought themselves to be the invincible bastions of intelligence, but the following finding finds otherwise:

According to scientists, chimpanzees have a short term memory capacity that far exceeds that of most humans:

Above: A chimpanzee is given 0.5 seconds to memorise 10 ordered places, where the numbers, after 0.5 seconds is up, becomes blurred out and the monkey must press them in order. Most trained humans cannot exceed 4, but chimpanzees can do up to 20.

According to http://www.livescience.com/27199-chimps-smarter-memory-humans.html

This incredible short-term (or “working”) memory helps chimpanzees survive in the wild, where they often must make rapid and complex decisions. Working memory is an active form of short-term memory, a mental workspace that allows the brain to juggle multiple thoughts simultaneously.

For chimps, the amazing working memory likely helps the animals navigate the branches of huge trees to feed, for example, or decide what to do when competing groups of animals are threatening one another, he said.

Therefore, if chimpanzees have working memory potentials so great, do you all think that chimpanzees can outstrip human players as the monster in a game of Evolve?

@Shin You know the drill, buddy.

You know, @Galactoid, we should implement a “Follow” feature on these forums so that I know when one of these threads pop up.

But that’s just a theory, a… Chimp theory?

Never grows old lol.

I would hope not. ^.^

Every single thread. Every single one.

I love clip art

I chose the other one cause this thread was about chimps and science

No. If short term memory was all intelligence is, well… I can’t think of a good metaphor, but it’s not. Creativity - which I failed at here. Long-term knowledge. Inherited/cultural knowledge. Emotional intelligence/self-control. I would destroy a monkey at video games.

That was a good lead-up, I’ll give you that.

Still, Galactoid proved you wrong in the OP. A monkey would destroy you at video games.

I’m glad someone caught that.

Anyway, I would challenge any monkey to a match. I’m not convinced chimps remembering numbers would help them. I bet they would just use Rock Throw and pretend it’s a giant poo.