Character difficulty ratings: Your verdict

On the wonderful Shara stream last night @Shaners asked if anyone had any comments about the difficulty ratings that have been given to each hunter and monster.

It seemed like an interesting discussion point, so I thought I’d stick the question up here and see what people think of each character.

But before I do that, it’d be great to get an understanding of what people understand “difficulty” as? Is it how difficult it is to achieve maximum potential, is it difficulty to do with the skills needed to use each ability or piece of equipment, or is it difficulty in terms of how much using that character affects the overall team difficulty? This seems to be a term that different people put different meaning to!

Feel free to explain your views below after the polls, by the way… it’d be good to get context for your votes :smiley:

Val - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Rogue Val - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Lazarus - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Caira - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Slim - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Emet - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Hank - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Bucket - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Cabot - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Sunny - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Maggie - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Griffin - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Abe - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Crow - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Jack - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Markov - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Blitz Markov - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Hyde - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Parnell - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Torvald - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Lennox - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Goliath - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Meteor Goliath - (currently Easy)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Kraken - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Wraith - (currently Challenging)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Behemoth - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Gorgon - (currently Moderate)

• Easy
  • Moderate
  • Challenging

0 voters

Not looking for endless mountains of Salt here, just your views on why the difficulty ratings are what they are, and what they should be if you disagree with their current assessment!

Yeah, I don’t know who in the studio came up with those ratings lol. Like, some of them are just wrong.

I put them all as easy. I can see why some of them are the way they are, but for me personally, they’re all really easy to play.

Hyde should be easy, because his damage sources are pretty straight forward and require little aiming.

Jack ok the other hand is challenging for new players imo. He just doesn’t have the reliable tracking of Maggie or say Crow. Communication and coordination are crucial. His crowd controll is easy to use though. So this might compensate a little. But still, tracking is more important than cc as a trapper when you ask me. He is challenging.

Goliath easy?

Sure, because Kraken and Wrath are the ones getting stuck on every tiny ledge and are by far the easiest to cheese by simple kiting around a pillar. Riiiight.

I’m sorry, call me biased, but I would argue that Goliath is definitely one of the hardest at any skill level higher than “Hey I just bought Evolve, let’s try playing as the Monster.”

I don’t think any are hard they all just need practice and some are harder by default like Lazarus to learn of the bat.

If your a noob picking a “easy” hunter it doesn’t mean jack if they still suck at Evolve like most do.

I find it’s not needed really,it’s like they added it just for the sake of it,just like when you pause game now it tells you what abilities you have as if your dumb lol

Yup Goliath was in theory supposed to be the easiest one and wraith the hardest one. But in practice is completely opposite. Wraith is very easy to be effective.

Hyde is more difficult than Torvald and Markov? That’s :rotfl: Hyde just sits with flamethrower and spam grenades what is far easier to be effective than mortars or mines. Even if you get monster in toxic for a moment u tick some dmg. And it’s hard to miss those grenades. Torvald and Markov must think a bit foreseeing.

The problem with the difficulty ratings for me are that they suggest only how easy it is to understand and use (in a basic way) the kit. Goliath is undoubtedly the “easiest” monster to pick up and understand, but I agree @Rick that this doesn’t make him Easy.

But then by the same token Val is set as Challenging… while her sniper rifle is slow on the reload I don’t know that there’s anything inherently difficult about understanding how she works (point and click on all three items). Rogue Val, by comparison, requires actual skill in terms of positioning and timing of heal burst use. Yes she has an easier sniper rifle and heals automatically, I’m not sure that means she should be two levels “easier” than Val.

And as for those monsters, Goliath is anything but easy once the hunters know what they’re doing.

It is almost certainly unable to be achieved, but it’s almost as if the difficulty rating of the characters/monsters needs to change depending on what meta level you are. If you’re 1-10 then sure, Goliath is easy, if you’re level 40 then it’s either moderate or challenging.

It’s easy to say this from a point of an experienced Evolve player, but I don’t doubt that they can be informative for new players, which is important if it is even only slightly the case :slight_smile:

I think Lennox is perfect. She is challenging to pick up and to master.

Against a good team he’s damn impossible. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

The only one that I think is actually “This has to be a mistake” off is Torvald. I don’t know under what circumstance he can be described as being easy to play.

Torvald IS damage=Challenging.

He is in no way easy to play as.

I don’t get how Abe is supposed to be moderate. He has the least tracking information of any trapper and it’s not obvious to newer players how they’re supposed to find the monster with him.

Exactly, arcing those mortars , and predicting monster movement is challenging . He is in no way “Easy” .

But I don’t think he’s challenging the way Lennox and Parnell are. Lennox and Parnell do the most damage but in high concentrated bursts. Torvald does this in a sense but his DPS overall can be vastly higher than both Lennox and Parnell due to the fact that he has his auto shotgun and that the mortars don’t have to be incredibly precise to deal a good amount of damage.

You guys need to keep in mind it’s about the learning curve for each character.
Not how difficult it is to be GOOD at the character.

Because Abe’s kit has a relatively easy learning curve. His tracking is just shooting and that’s not hard for a new player to understand.

Damn it I wanted to make this thread, weird how I never finished it oh well… You win some you lose some.

Overpowered characters aside, I think they did a fairly good job of summing the dificulty rating of the learning curve for newer players.

I agree with TRS on about 50% of them. I see how others play and most of them find some of the moderate ones, challenging.

My Caira skills have gone downhill. D: She feels a bit harder to use.