Can't play since 5.1: always CTDs after first splash screen

Do you have any programs running in the background? Such as any recording/streaming programs?

Nothing I didn’t already run beforehand, and didn’t interfere with the game. In any case I closed Kaspersky, Comodo and Nvidia GeForce Experience and still nothing. I also noticed the Logitech Framework app for my mouse (which ran flawlessly beforehand) now crashes when I try to open Evolve, so I disabled it starting with Windows, restarted the system but still nothing.

I haven’t updated my Nvidia driver in months, and it runs other games without issues.

I redownloaded the entire game and installed it on a different drive. As predicted, it didn’t work.

Just for testing purposes, I added “sys_MaxFPS = 60” to the system.cfg file, and now I can actually see the monster paw stomping the 2K logo before it crashes, so it has extended the time it takes to crash. Setting the max FPS to 30 didn’t improve this. Removing that string from the system file made the crash happen faster again.

I also just updated Nvidia Driver to version 355.82 with a clean install and it didn’t work.

I removed the splash screen files again and clicked “Skip” as soon as the Nvidia animation popped up. It skips to that black screen with white text and the TRS logo and others, and crashes shortly after. The crash seems time based, regardless of what I do.

@MajorLeeHyper any other suggestions of other strings I can add to try and pinpoint the issue?

Just FYI, messing with files is not supported, so remove them at your own risk.

Well, given that the game is not working with all the files intact, I don’t have much to lose. I had done this before in previous patches to speed up getting to the main menu without any issues. Patch 4.0 brought the splash screen files back and I didn’t bother removing them since. I only did it again to try and troubleshoot this issue.

It seems you don’t have any ideas and I’ll be locked out of the Free Weekend? :frowning:

Do you have a firewall or antivirus running? Try running it with those disabled (be sure to remember to turn them back on after the test) If that doesnt work, try re-installing DirectX and microsoft visual C++, both of which are located in the _CommonRedist folder of the game’s install directory.

Repaired Visual C++ x86 and x64 2010 and 2012 installations. Ran the DirectX setup successfully. Disabled Comodo Firewall, Kaspersky Antivirus, Nvidia Experience and Shadowplay from booting AND their services. Disabled Steam overlay and broadcasting. Restarted machine.

Nothing.

Do you have an autoexec file by any chance? I’m running out of ideas, do you have any other DX11 games you can try to see if you are experiencing similar issues?

Don’t even know what such a file is. I ran Killing Floor 2 at max settings (including the new Nivida FleX thing) and The Witcher 3 without issues.

One last thought, we put some additional anti-cheat functions in the game, and it’s possible that an infected PC could unintentionally trigger one of these, which could cause the game to crash. It might be a good idea to run virus and malware scans just in case :confused: At this point I’m stumped. I’m sorry you’re having so much trouble but at this point I’m not sure how to help you :frowning:

Yeah, I don’t have a particular antivirus program to recommend, just use what you have. But for malware scans, you can use “Malwarebytes AntiMalware” and “SUPERAntiSpyware” for free.

Just did full scans with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes. No malware found, just some tracking cookies and harmless adware.
At this point I can only hope the next patch fixes the issue spontaneously. Thanks for trying to help.

Devs you should really try help this fellow, he is one of the most dedicated and active brazilian supporters of Evolve. He never had an issue with the game and is trying really hard to make it work again…
Just a friendly advise from one of your clients.

Technically I’ve been having issues since patch 4.0, I just never mentioned that in my posts in the BR Evolve community so as to not discourage people from playing even more. Thanks for the support, though.

Ok, thanks, but we already wanted to help. :slight_smile:

Ok, thanks for trying. @MajorLeeHyper and I will keep putting our heads together.

@ArPharazon @MajorLeeHyper Eureka! Problem solved!

I went to msconfig and chose “diagnostic startup” and restarted. It didn’t even load the internet service, so I had to start Steam offline. But Evolve worked! I knew then that one of my unsuspected startup programs was the culprit. I found out it’s InkSaver, which I have been using for many years to save over half of ink on my prints. It works like a charm. http://inksaver.com/

Sadly it stopped being developed years ago, so it probably has some old-fashioned routines that are being picked up by the new anti-cheat stuff Major mentioned. I won’t ask you guys to make the game compatible with InkSaver, because really, nobody else uses it ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Though the anti-cheat stuff could use showing an error message instead of you know, crashing without any warning whatsoever.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Wow thanks for letting us know – that really lifts a weight off my mind. I hate the idea that anti-cheat would deny the game to an honest owner, and it’s a constant worry… yet we have to take that risk due to the insistence of cheaters in ruining the game for others.

Unfortunately, a friendly message about cheat detection simply serves as a strong lead for hackers to follow in the process of defeating the protection.

Again, thanks so much for sticking with it and discovering the source of the problem. I’ve never heard of the program you mentioned, but I will check it out!

1 Like

Glad I could help! When InkSaver is running it has 3 processes: inksaver.exe, ISApExtSvc32.exe and ISApExtSvc64.exe . In my limited testing, it appears it was the 64 one that was causing the crashes.

1 Like