Bittersweet "I'm back"

Finally got my computer to work, and this forum is reachable again by me! But I thought that this was going to be very happy for myself? Nope, right as one good thing happened to me, something else horrible just happened to all salamander and newt keepers in the US: http://www.caudata.org/forum/f1173-advanced-newt-salamander-topics/f1175-herpetological-science-politics/f1176-laws-legality-ethics/104941-sweeping-ban-salamander-trade-transportation-effect-month.html They’re trying to ban almost all major groups of salamander and newt in the US! This law officially goes into affect on the 28th, so we don’t have a lot of time to put our voices out there! If this law passes, this will give the government the courage to move up the pet scale to frogs, fish, lizards, snakes, birds and eventually mammals (That’s right, Fluffy the cat and Spot the dog aren’t safe from the government!) so please, if any of you own any animal, now’s the time to help!

I somehow doubt the government will ban all household pets. :stuck_out_tongue:

Welcome back, though :smiley_cat:

That’s the entire point, they’re starting to! They’re going after the least common hobbies and pets first (Notice the forum I linked was related to salamanders and newts?) and when nobody else owns pets, that’s when they’ll go after cats and dogs

Okay.

But why tho

Because nobody likes salamanders and newts, and they think it’s okay to get rid of them simply because 3 species are infamous (Cynops orientalis, Paramesotriton species, Pachytriton) and they think that banning all but the Ambystoma species (Which are under enough pressure for being WC already) and the rare Hellbender. (Which is either endangered or critically endangered) They need to stop the imports of salamanders and newts, but banning them going in-between state lines is literally crazy

But everyone likes cats and dogs, no?

(Well, not everyone, but you get my point.)

Exactly, and if government officials read this article for instance.: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-19353/Cats-kill-275-million-animals-year.html (Forbid what they would do Shudders) They’d probably say they have to ban cats for the better (Even though people wouldn’t agree)

This is a really weird conversation :smiley_cat:

I’m still skeptical. Just because animals kill other animals doesn’t mean that the government is going to panic and ban them. It just seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

But will you help us from keeping salamanders and newts becoming banned? That’s all I really want

Sure , I’ll do what I can. I don’t own non-cat pets but I respect people who do.

Right now, though, I’m going to bed :smiley_cat:

Thank you, you have no idea how much that means to me!

Your passion is… Commendable, to say the least. I hope you succeed in your cause. And welcome back.

Cats and dogs are pets by nature. Lizards, snakes, etc. are wildlife.

But will you not support the ban on them? They’re trying to completely ban salamanders and newts in the US

And not necessarily. Domestec reptiles and amphibians include the captive Axolotl (Captive ones are not true A.mexicanum anymore, they have been hybridized by the tiger salamander for color morphs) The Clawed frog (Not the dwarf frog) and the Corn snake and Ball python. I consider an animal a pet if it follows the following conditions:

1. At least 2,000,000 people need to own the species
  2. It needs to not be physically survive on its own in the wild, and depend entirely upon the keeper
  3. It needs to have color morphs that hinder its hunting/evading capture abilities

Just made a Petition on the subject: https://www.change.org/p/u-s-fish-and-wildlife-service-don-t-make-salamanders-and-newts-illegal-to-send-across-us-state-lines

Um, as far as I know, scientists are urging the government to ban imports on salamanders to prevent a fungus from spreading to our native salamanders. You may be totally overreacting.

Also, it’s illegal to import all kinds of things including certain animals. Yet, it still happens.

I’m not really sure how you could enforce a ban on interstate transportation or ownership of something like a newt. Good luck, US government.

Also, I don’t know much about lizards in general, but are ANY of the species on that list native to North America?

I agree with you about dogs, but cats are actually born wild and unsocialized. They were never truly domesticated the way that dogs were.

If you read the thread, it also bans the movement of the following salamander groups between state lines: Chioglossa, Cynops, Euproctus, Hydromantes, Hynobius, Ichthyosaura, Lissotriton, Neurergus, Notophthalmus, Onychodactylus, Paramesotriton, Plethodon, Pleurodeles, Salamandra, Salamandrella, Salamandrina, Siren, Taricha, Triturus, and Tylototriton

I did read it. Like I said, I’m not really sure how you could enforce such a ban. It’s not like there’s a customs check between each state. I also asked if any of the banned species were native to North America. The ones I recognized were foreign. Is it possible they are just trying to stop the movement of exotic lizards?