Balance Team AMA 10/04/2016 Answers

No eta

We have this fix planned, battle cabot got in the way, but I think DJ is on it after.

No, we have ideas on what we would change, but haven’t had time to start on them.

We removed them to save download space (which is a big f2p issue). I don’t know if our menus support links to browsers.

6 Likes

Nothing new on Meteors passive. We still have an idea of what we want it to be but we are not close to implementing it.

No eta on Sunny’s adaptations. No planned Sunny nerfs at the moment, though we know she is strong.

Grounder dot is low for two reasons. The damage should not compete with the venomous claws line up and the debuff is strong enough by itself that the perk doesn’t need a large amount of extra dot damage on top of it to be a strong pick.

The claws perks are still powerful in their current state and likely are still too strong when both are taken. It’s likely they will get nerfed again due to the problematic unavoidable damage build going on right now.

5 Likes

Laz is a oddball for sure, his play style isn’t straight forward and honestly, even the players who think they get him, don’t. Laz’s meta for a long time has been the threat of the glove not the resurrection mechanic, and forcing the monster into a specific spot while you punish.

We do have some perks coming that should reinforce Laz’s play style (maybe later this month). Keep an eye out.

11 Likes

Personally we still find Dust Tag to be pretty useful during fights. Maybe it’s just good against how Guidance plays but keeping tabs on the Monster through all geo for a short time keeps our damage going.

Prob the Wraith decoy changes. And what food to order.

Brandon is good with big picture stuff. Guidance is good with Monster and level stuff. LordDeath is scripting and Medic stuff. I’m good with feeling and level stuff. Kaisertim is good representation of player feel and how they’ll react to a feature, plus his trailers are #1.

All in all our biggest attribute is we all can work together for ridiculous amounts of time and not kill eachother. We’ve been at it as a full team for almost two years so that’s pretty cool. (Competing and working as a devs)

8 Likes

We have plans to make his buoys more durable. It’s currently a chore to constantly replace them constantly since they get destroyed so easily against most monsters.

Most of the medics are a little under of where they need to be. Paladin seems like he is in a good state. Slim is too strong and needs to come down.

5 Likes

So we think it’s the high damage potential abilities coupled with her being hard to hit. If you don’t dodge or move during decoy attacks or supernova, you get rekted. If you do move, Wraith feels super weak. We have changes coming that should help address this, by allowing us to increase the burst but limit the over all damage potential.

2 Likes

Having one player perform at a high level compared to four Hunters is always going to prove some difficulty when it comes to balance. I don’t think we’ll ever escape that just due to Evolve being a 4v1 game. We have our systems in place to help people, but I think it’s always going to be an uphill battle.

For me it’s hard to pinpoint it to any one thing we can change to give a fix across all levels. Matchmaking is easy for us to ensure solid matches but if it comes down to player skill at the end of the day the better team/player should always win. That is simply just the design of a competitive game.

For the future it’s something we’ll keep thinking about, keep watching and keep trying new things. I think there won’t be a change that hits all of our issues but we’ll continue to making the experience better for all players. Just takes time :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Yeah that was the design Brandon wanted for Battle Cabot. This will also carry over to the other orbital-based weapons in the game soon.

7 Likes

A lot of our hotly debated balance team topics are managing fairness between monster and hunter. Something we think is super fun on the Hunter side will make Guidance super pissed and vice versa. Slogging through that mess is what we spend most of our cycles on.

We favor T hank and Cabot a lot. Our medic and support players use a more wide range of tools and it’s also our jobs to adapt quicker. For instance with the new dome timer mechanic, it only took us a couple games to start to counter the re-engage Guidance was putting on us. Guidance is actually pretty decent at Bob, so we aren’t fully sure that the competitive scene has the right Monster player for him to shine.

4 Likes

I think that she is a viable monster but has a few frustrations both playing as and against her. Playing as Gorgon the traversal can feel a bit unresponsive at times and we are working on fixing that. Acid Spit has a large inconsistency with the damage it deals due to the mechanics of the ability, which we will have a fix for soon.

Playing against Gorgon, there isn’t much counter play into her kit. Other than spider trap, which is unreliable at best, Mimic, Acid Spit, and Web Snare are all used point blank as shotgun abilities to make them nearly unavoidable.

6 Likes

His art is done, but he isn’t on the design radar. We have ideas for kit and timeline era. No eta.

We’ll see about the damage thing. He is definitely a skill based character, may take time to see full potential. On the click to fire issue, we can fix that.

Depends on the character, ideally they would be perfectly balanced at launch. But that’s pretty much impossible with how many different comps and perks we have. Usually, we get it to a good fun place and release it to see what the community does with it.

It’s not off the table for sure.

7 Likes

Aftershock will be replaced with a ranged ability, similar to a lava bomb AOE but it’ll give some other effects alongside damage and such. We have designs but we need to play them once we shift focus to Kraken after Wraith is done.

Banshee mines will remain as a deployable but will trigger once a Hunter is in range and will explode once they reach the zone the Hunter was last standing. We have some other ideas but that is the general idea for right now, which could change once we get into testing.

10 Likes

I don’t think we’ll venture too far away from the defense matrix with the assault class. Personally I feel I have a good mix of Assault styles when it comes to how I’m going to deal my damage. RAbe fits the need for poke and consistent damage, Torvald hits the burst and so on.

For me the big areas to push Assaults apart is with their actual gear, not the class ability. It’s something you need to succeed as an Assault in my eyes.

My Mom raised me with good Olive eating habits. I used to put them on my fingers and eat them while my parents cooked.

9 Likes

We want to create new content, it’s just more about having the time and resources for it.

The Monsters we want to create would be pretty damn fun.

11 Likes

This one is a delicate balance and I am not sure that it needs to be sped up. Recently we had the pull up on harpoons and kraken couldn’t get away.

No, why would you think that?

There are some funky interactions with Gorgon like you mentioned, but I actually think that is on gorgons side. Having a traversal fail instead of interupt would mean you wouldn’t easily see why you can’t move, your traversal would just disapiate. How would that work with Monsters that are already mid traversal?

I don’t know, I’ll have to check. I am leaning towards it not being an easy change.

5 Likes

I’d refer to the latest community letter for a clear answer but it’s about seeing how things go after we introduced Gold Keys from here on out.

6 Likes

Leaves room to improvement for sure. We are working on a different matchmaking solution.

We’ve talked about it and we have some designs, new characters take significantly more resources than the variants.

On the topic of fur, no :slight_smile:

9 Likes

If we were to rework the ranked matchmaking system I feel we’d move away from Glicko. I prefer ELO/MMR based stuff and most of the balance team does as well.

3 Likes

Emet - I’m looking into increasing the buoy’s durability and possibly their range. Respawn beacon isn’t high on the priority list to change.

Lazarus - I can look into changing it so shields don’t show up on cloaked targets and the incap healing next patch.

Quantum - We will likely be increasing the radius of the fields next patch. It’s extremely unlikely damage grenades will stick to monsters. Her identity is about creating the zones in specific areas.

Caira - She may be getting that extra grenade everyone has been asking for next patch.

No.

10 Likes

Yeah we’re actually looking at both those perks in a future update :slight_smile:

5 Likes