Ares' Super Secret Evolve Pumpkin Contest Entry

OK, thanks for clarifying.

This rules! I was a 3D printing tech at my last job. I really wanna design printable pumpkins now :laughing: Well done!

2 Likes

What is this magic.

2 Likes

Thanks! :smile:
I was very surprised at how much effort 3D printing takes (at least with my printer). It’s not as simple as “design, print, done” like many youtube videos make it seem. It took a while to find the right settings to avoid jams, warping, and collapsing but I think I’m finally starting to get the hang of it.

My next project is going to be extracting models from a game and posing/printing them.

1 Like

It is an art. I recommend ABS plastic at between 230 and 250 degrees C. Try and angle whatever you’re making to have as little scaffolding as possible, or invest in dissolvable filament. It gets easier with practice!

1 Like

Sadly I can’t do any of these with the Makerbot Mini :cry: (except angles of course) It only takes PLA, and printing at temps too far over 210 cause it to melt and warp. If my Mini ever dies on me I will definitely consider upgrading to a more practical printer.

Luckily the last firmware update added the ability to control how supports are printed (before it was either support everything or nothing!)

And you’re right about the practice-- It takes a lot of trial and error and even more patience!

1 Like

Oh man, I hate PLA. I know it was the starting standard for the industry, but that is a fickle plastic if I ever did see one. I’ve found that on the replicator back at my lab, there is about a 2 degree window of tolerance between not getting melty enough to print and straight up vaporization. I’ve also found that the color additive can shift that window, as well as expand and contract it. The fact that you got a print that smooth under those conditions is actually quite impressive!

1 Like

This… is amazing. Thank you SO much for sharing! So creative! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks guys! :blush:
I’m hoping to have the final shot of these done this evening-- I’m waiting for Assault to print now, then I’ve just gotta print 3 stems. The bad news is that I had to scrap the monster pumpkin. I just won’t have time to print it, but if I remember I’ll post a picture of the model tonight too.

The (only?) good thing about PLA is that it smells nice while it’s printing! :laughing:

1 Like

Looming awesome bro, glad the alternative plan for the LEDS worked out!

1 Like

2 Likes

It’s finally done! Thanks for all the positive support!

I updated the post with the finished entry, also head over and like the final entry so I can win (if I’m allowed :laughing:)

P.S.
Shout-out and thanks to @cn3wton for his suggestions and for the LED lighting method I used!

Ohhh very cool I wish I had talent lol

Everybody has some kind of talent! I can’t carve pumpkins worth a damn, so I used a different talent. Improvise and think outside the box!

I can clap with one hand…that’s pretty cool :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s uhhh… certainly a thing… lmao

Awww can’t upload a video of it darn lol

A post was merged into an existing topic: Halloween Pumpkin Contest ((▲■▲))

Wrong thread to enter man! Awesome pumpkin though! Very cool idea!

Gotta post it in here:

1 Like

I just love this so much! :heart: EVOLGE!

1 Like