Any Dog owners in the forums?

So I recently lost my dog to a hit an run from a drunk driver last night. Her name was Caira just like our fellow medic in Evolve. An seeing how this is my first dog go away so soon, I wanted to know if any of you got any tips on how to move on from this.

2 Likes

You have my condolences. My cousin’s had this happen to them. They ended up getting another dog. I’m not quite sure if that would help you or not though.

2 Likes

I’m very sorry to hear that and well, the only way you can “move on” from this is to learn to live with it. This may sound cheesy but our loved ones will always stay in our memories. In other words, they are pretty much alive inside us, just think about the good times you spend with your dog. Of course, it won’t be easy, to accept death is a difficult task, but you can do it. I bet Caira would be happy if she knows you still have a place for her in your heart :smile:

4 Likes

Aw man, I’m sorry to hear that, friend.

I lost one of my two dogs a while back (well, they lived with my mum) and I basically just sucked it up and moved on, but I still think of that boy every day at least!

My dog recently died of cancer

There’s really nothing you can do.
You just accept it, remember them, and try to move on.

I knew my dog was dying so I took lots of pictures and videos so I’d always have reminders of him

I’m so sorry for your loss dude. It took me a year or two to get over the death of my dog. Be strong friend. You’ll get through this.

2 Likes

Thanks everyone, it’s just that things like this shouldn’t be happen to begin with. A drunk driver taking away a piece of me is unacceptable. An there wont be any justice for her since no law protects a dog. But I have to live with it now an take small steps into moving on.

4 Likes

There should be laws, a dog is part of your family to even if it’s not by blood

1 Like

I’ve already spoken with an officer. All they said it was my fault for having my dog outside an hope the driver is caught with only a DUI.

Wait, what? That’s fucking ridiculous, and that’s also incorrect.

Pets are considered property, so if this drunk driver killed your dog, you could get her on destruction of personal property.

Of course, make sure you do some research into that first. Don’t just take my word.

2 Likes

I’ve done the research already for the state of colorado on this. An sadly there’s nothing that can be done about it.

Aw, I’m sorry man. That’s awful. I’m sure your dog is in a better place though. You’ll get through this, buddy. :blush:

1 Like

I’m so sorry to hear that. I have had three dogs hit and killed and the best advice I can tell you is that it heals only by time. I’m so sorry for your loss and I wish you the very best. Don’t go out and get another dog so soon though. I made that mistake and it took me a while to build a new relationship with my new pet. Give yourself a appropriate time to grief first for dogs are mans best friend.

1 Like

I have 8 dogs now and have had dogs all my life. I’ve lost countless dogs to reckless or uncaring drivers (i live next to a busy street and my dogs dig under the fence.) so you have my condolences. I know how you are feeling now and the only thing that heals is time. you lost a friend, don’t blame yourself and remember them fondly.

4 Likes

I’m sorry to hear this brother. It’s never easy to let our friends go. But as some have said, just live with it, remember her, and smile. She obviously brought you joy and that’s wonderful.
I’m actually dealing with the fact that I may have to say goodbye to my buddy soon. He’s got a very aggressive form of cancer, it grows in his blood vessels. He just had a major surgery and is doing much better but we’ve found out it’s spread to his organs. Even though we’ve improved his quality of life, he may only have another year. It hasn’t happened yet but I am already feeling it.
So I can’t even imagine what you’re going through. But, at least we all have a place and a family like this one to talk these things out. We are all here for you.

1 Like

I’ve never had a dog, but when I was 7 I cared for a baby cow until I was 9, I grew up on a farm. Unfortunately for her, some person snuck onto our property at night and killed her, i remember finding her in the morning. I won’t go into details of how she actually died. But it messed me up for a while.

I’ve not eaten or used anything that comes from an animal since then.

1 Like

I have two dogs and I was really shaky when my stupid sister “accidentally” let them out and I was scared. Although I haven’t had any of my dogs die, I really don’t like to think about it, cause I cry like a man should.

2 Likes

I am sorry for your loss! I have 2 dogs and I can’t imagine how much it hurts to lose one of them.

1 Like