Advice for someone entering the industry?

Of course the circumstances are going to be completely different for everyone.

I really enjoyed my first job and loved the people there. Nevertheless, I took a new job after only 9 months. Don’t do that unless you have a really good reason, people. It makes you look unreliable.

My first job was developing games for the Philips CD-I. The job I left it for had these advantages:

• CD-I was a pathetic platform for games. The hardware was great for playing their proprietary discs, but terrible for graphics. (It had a Motorola 68000 CPU and that’s it, nothing even resembling a precursor to a GPU). My second job was developing for SNES, which was an amazingly great machine in its day, and fun to program because it had hardware that actually helped you. (Edit: besides the work being more enjoyable, this was more relevant industry experience.)
  • It was closer to home – not by much in terms of miles, but it eliminated passing through the Venice Beach area of the 405, cutting the worst part of traffic off my horrible commute, which sometimes had been 2 hours one way, more typically 90 minutes.
  • Significant pay increase, at least on a percentage basis.

Lucky for me, the second job turned out to be a nice place too. Although, being a small company, the benefits weren’t as good as those at Philips. Still, good people.

As @ArPharazon said everyone is gonna be completely different, but I’ll list my experience out just for fun.

• Started as Temp QA for a year 1 & a half in AZ.
  • After that point my contract was ending and they decided to hire me as full time QA! Woohoo (not everyone was so fortunate) Stayed another 2 years & a half before being promoted to Tester 2 (same job more pay.)
  • Continued as Tester 2 for another 7 months.
  • Saw a job description for Sony Submission Coordinator, had no idea what it was, but I could do all of the things listed in the description. This position and a few others were offered to internal people only due to the office in CA closing. Got that job and did it for 1 year & 3 months. Loved it at first until I ran out of work to do due to the company going bankrupt. I left before the company shut down completely, because I was really bored and didn’t have enough work to keep me busy anymore and it was really sad seeing so many of my friends and co-workers get laid off.
  • Moved to CA got a job fast once I started looking, but that’s because I had experience. Unfortunately I had to go back to being in QA because I could not find any other jobs I qualified for. (don’t get me wrong QA is fun, but I had done it for nearly 5 years already and there was not a lot of growth I could gain in that department.) I did this for 2 more years at two different studios one being TRS.
  • After a year and 9 months at TRS I got promoted to a Producer role and been doing that ever since. :smiley:

So much awesome information!

I have a couple things to add to all this great advice >>

1. Be kind on the internet and on forums with developers – you need your past working for you, not against you.
  2. Do what you love, practice what you love. Keep doing what you love, and eventually you’ll be doing it for a living and it will feel like don’t even work anymore! :open_mouth:

Best of luck to anyone who dreams of being in games.

I gave up on my dream and somehow still found myself here! :heart:

Oh this reminds me of something I’ve heard many times in recent years.

Don’t post socially abhorrent things on your social media. Even if you were just joking. Expect people to look you up, they have these “search engines” now.

This is actually something I’ve been careful of for years now - I figure it’s especially relevant in this industry, where there’s so much web presence and the media is so involved. Especially following… events a few years ago. Figured it was best to stay out of all that.

Wait no. I said it wrong.

I should have said, don’t post it if you were joking. If you are really into the sick freakish stuff, post it everywhere, because… you gotta be true to yourself and this way we can, uh… appreciate your unique perspective. Yeah

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

IMPORTANT NECRO UPDATE

So I have an interview tomorrow to be an intern for combat and systems programming. Any last minute tips? I don’t know how intense the interview for an internship is, but I’d still rather be prepared than not.

@ArPharazon @Shaners

I guess just get a good night’s sleep, and have a nice breakfast before you go in. Get ready early so you won’t end up rushing around. Good luck!

Fuck… How do I do this?

Well, if being a Biomedical Engineer falls through, I guess I can try and weasel my way into the gaming industry. The only problem I have is that my skillz are in physical creation, not the cyber-spacey cool shit that the cool kids are into these days.

bookmarked for later

Awesome! Best of luck for the interview. I’ve got my fingers crossed for you. :slight_smile:

Woo hoo! Good luck :slight_smile: let us know how it goes!

I would make sure you have a copy of your resume on hand just in case (I always forget to do that).
Also, I like to bring a notebook/pad of some sort and have questions ready, and I usually think of questions while I’m there, too. If your interview is anything like at TRS then you’ll have multiple interviews over the course of a couple hours.

Dress in clothes you’re comfortable in because you don’t want to be stiff, it will help you relax a bit.
Also, don’t forget to smile! And have fun taking the experience in :slight_smile:

UPDATE:

So he let me know this morning that this was just going to be a phone interview, so I had to switch gears a bit. He downloaded a game I made and have published on the Google Play Store, and he was just kind of pleased it worked, which surprised me - I thought he’d care more about the polish. But I guess I’m just a programmer, so it doesn’t matter whether it’s pretty or not since it all worked.

I sent him screenshots of some of my Unreal blueprints last night (that’s what I’ll be working in, so he was wondering if I had experience) and he asked me to describe a difficult obstacle I overcame using blueprints, as well as to describe my process in creating them.

We talked a while back and forth in stuff like that, and I got a second interview, now in person. He said he really likes me and he thinks I’ll be a good fit (and he’s the lead designer, so I figure that’s a good sign), but other people like the CFO need to see me and see what they think. So all in all, I think I’m doing ok!

The other interview is on Friday. He said not to dress up, but I think I’ll just go with a business casual since that’s how I’d be most comfortable in an interview. I’m gonna take all this advice you guys gave me for today and put it into use then. Thanks for the help!

…on to round 2…

nice job dude :smiley:

yay!! You got this :slight_smile:

Definitely dress to be comfortable. Get lots of sleep! You’re gonna kick ass. :dancer:

@snowkissed What I think you mean is…

Then Caira comes in with the swoop:

wtf where am I going with this again…
s e n d h e l p

Don’t forget the glitter.

I’m heavily invested into knowing how this interview goes, hope you get the job!

Hope you get the job; I’m still in the same position, I’d LIKE To work in the gaming industry, but I’m on the East Coast and cannot afford to move. So my only options are either Bethesda (Zenimax Media), a small studio in my area, or to start my own.

Anyway, good luck with the interview, I’ve been applying for years and I got a few interviews that didn’t go anywhere. Just take your time and be calm.

I’m sure you’re on the hunt for jobs away, but I know Respawn is hiring and they help pay for relocation if you want to see if you can apply there?

I’ll look into it, thanks. But personally, I’d rather not make or have the company pay for my relocation (as appealing as that is - house mates drive me up the wall).