A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms Discussion (Slight Spoilers)

So finally, after wanting that feeling of being able to re-read the A Song of Ice and Fire book series for the first time again and not know what was going to happen, I decided to pick up A Knight of the Seven Kingdoms. It is a collection of three stories that follow Dunk and Egg set in the world of A Song of Ice and Fire, prequels to the main novels (about 100 years prior). The stories relate the adventures of the hedge knight Ser Duncan the Tall, who would become a legendary member of the Kingsguard, and his squire Egg, who would become King Aegon V Targaryen of Westeros.

So far there are 3 stories that GRRM has released, which include:

• The Hedge Knight
  • The Sworn Sword
  • The Mystery Knight

There are also 4 stories planned for the future after GRRM delivers the Winds of Winter:

• The Sellsword
  • The Champion
  • The Kingsguard
  • The Lord Commander

So far I’ve only read The Hedge Knight because I just picked up the book today. I have to say that it was incredible. It gave me that Game of Thrones feel (obviously, it’s in the same universe) and I had no idea what was going to happen (aside from Egg being Aegon V). It is so nice to be able to see what the Realm looked like while the Targaryens were still in power. Knowing that Ser Duncan will become one of the greatest knights in the history of Westeros and being able to see him grow from a hedge knight is an awesome experience. I can’t wait to read about Duncan’s many deeds that get multiple pages in the Lord Commanders “White Book.” I’m honestly surprised with myself that I haven’t read these novellas yet and can’t wait to keep reading.

TL;DR: If you’ve watched Game of Thrones and read A Song of Ice and Fire novels, you need to read these novellas!!

I read the Dunk and Egg tales a while ago, tracking them down wasn’t easy but I agree that they are truly awesome!

Dunk the Lunk, thick as a castle wall.

Gonna be honest, this recurring line made me giggle much more than it should have. Oh and Prince Daeron’s line about no one being able to lie insensible in the mud as well as he did.

But, really, the simple plot of having a secret prince, who is witty and brave, squire for a hedge knight is just amazing. I love the bond between the improbable heroes :grin:

It only gets better!