My 3D Printer is a very entry-level Da Vinci Mini W by XYZ printing. It’s a plug-and-print machine pretty much out of the box.
It has pros and cons. Pros being it’s great to learn on…cons being it requires its own filaments and colors are limited.
I’ve printed a great many little things here and there and wanted to tackle something more substantial. I had practiced with 3D Kitbash’s FREE Rukibot model and it worked well, so I purchased their Boon: The Tiny T-Rex model to give it a go.
My first attempt I ran the model with Clear Blue filament. It’s not my favorite color by any means so I didn’t mind “wasting” it if something were to go wrong. I also swapped out to Yellow filament for the eyes. At the time I didn’t have Red filament for the tongue and still don’t have White. It took Herculean effort to fit the pins…mainly the arms causing the problems. However, the print overall is very VERY well done with the tolerances.
The toy itself have a fully articulated head with moving jaw, tongue, and eyes that you can roll forward or back to look where you want. It’s arms move on a swivel, sort-of, and if the print is good the arms can also open further apart like for a cool roar or running pose, or close closer to the chest for added cuteness or holding something. The legs can be used to stand or sit the model and get into a variety of leg-like positions. No serious problems with posing either since the feet are so chunky and the tail helps to balance the weight of the head.
This being a success, I moved on the other filament colors. Here I ran into some issues either due to my filament or the printer…some under extruding, stringing, and “zits” on the Yellow filament which took me two days to try and sort out…and I didn’t, really, but it seems to have corrected itself? Maybe? I don’t know but will be trying Yellow again. Anyway, I wanted to do Boon in two-tones, and also found a mod for the eyeballs on Thingiverse…with which to add in 12mm glass doll eyes. I did have to paint the ball socket for the eyes since I did not have White filament, then glued on the glass eyes before setting them into the head. The results were impressive and I’m super pleased with it!
You can also find a link to replace the T-Rex arms with 3-fingers to make an Allosaurus Boon instead of a Rex on Thingiverse. I may do this for another model.
Overall I am thrilled with the model even though it takes quite the effort to get the connection pins in. Once you fit the pins it all just works!
I plan to paint some black stripes maybe on the green one, and working on a Red filament Boon now.